Netbook keyboard wet

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Hello, spilled the most minute amout of doctor pepper on my acer d257netbook. I realised what was happening as the can was falling and swatted it out of the way. only a few drops landed on the keys, i then turned the nebook upside down and wiped off the keys, it didn't seem like any got under the grooves however guess some did as now my five and seven keys as well as the minus key don't work. Shift works sometimes. It has been two days and the keyboard still does not function correctly, what can I do short of replacing the keyboard?

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Opening a laptop is not for the weak of heart. There are tons of tiny parts, its just not a great idea.

Here's what you should have done, and this applies to other electronics as well. Cut power immediately to the wet device. Take out any batteries and ensure they are dried completely. Use canned air to liberally blow out any water or other liquid from the keyboard and the rest of the device as well. Then leave it for 24 hours before attempting to power up again.

In your case, the sugars from the soda are sticky and may be gumming up the keys. If you're feeling brave you can open the case and try to get under the keyboard and use rubbing alcohol to clean it. Rubbing alcohol, especially above 75% will evaporate quickly and won't leave a residue that could oxidize components.

But I would advise taking the netbook to a local repair shop and let them do the cleaning.