Netflix CEO Plans for More Exclusives, No Tiered Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

royale606

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Wow. Good to know. I just cancelled my one physical Blu-Ray out at a time, and left myself with streaming only. If they decide to jump the prices for unlimited streaming I'll be cancelling that too. I hope they don't as I like watching full seasons straight through, But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay more for exactly the same thing...

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I don't know what the big deal was about them rising their prices by a whole 2 dollars or so way back when.

Back then was when I did sign up with netflix, and have enjoyed it immensely since then. I get many many many times the value out of the service, than if I was to buy DVD's.....

Hell, if I was to buy a DVD for each show I watched on netflix, I would be very poor and starving right now....

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
The only problem I have with the streaming service is the lack of new content. I understand that this issue is due in part with the movie companies such as Sony, Starz, etc; but it would be nice to have more current and mainstream content available.

sanirudh

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]The only problem I have with the streaming service is the lack of new content. I understand that this issue is due in part with the movie companies such as Sony, Starz, etc; but it would be nice to have more current and mainstream content available.[/citation]
Hulu Plus

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I'm not sure why Netflix wants ANY exclusive content. I'm pretty sure they could get better deals from production studios is they didn't want exclusive rights, which would allow them to purchase MORE CONTENT.

E.G I wonder how many subscriptions Netflix obtained from paying hundreds of millions to play Madmen RERUNS (that are already a year old). Are you kidding me?

Netflix should be trying to position themselves to stream AS MUCH CONTENT AS POSSIBLE, in order to obtain as many subscriptions as possible. Unlike Hulu, they have no offerings in the realm of currently running T.V. shows. Exclusive rights to a BRAND NEW currently running show is a step in the right direction, though I believe the value they get out of exclusive access versus the extra cost they will have to put up is definitely not worth it.

IN SUMMARY: Netflix subscribers want more content, preferably of quality. You could add a pay per view / show type model or additional subscriptions for content "channels." You don't add much value by having exclusive rights to old shows. You add value by having original content, but HAMPER your ability to buy even more content if you want exclusive rights. In addition, the exclusivity doesn't add a ton of value.

But what do I know. This CEO wants exclusives, so it's probably what he'll get.

ricemanva

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I cancelled streaming when they started charging for it, but will renew it the moment the new season of Arrested Development arrives. 2 or 3 exclusive quality shows more than justifies the price for me.

foscooter

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
As stated, online is not for new releases.

As far a exclusives, I have watched, and enjoyed there production "Lillyhammer." Quite entertaining, if you like the "gangster" genre/series. Steven Van Zant (from The Sopranos) plays a gangster who turns to the FBI, and under the witness protection program, asks to be relocated to Norway. Subtitle kinda get annoying, but it is funny! Can you say Northern European White Trash?

Anyway, if Netflix tiers their streaming, they better offer new releases also, else, I AM OUTTA HERE!

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I'd take on streaming services if I could get better internet where I live. Rural USA is a neglected dead-zone of Internet. Just 6 miles away fiber, cable, and DSL thrive, but no one wants to spend the additional money to deliver service to my community of about 30 homes. Ugh :(

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Netflix: Please stream more older movies. I think it was Iron Man 2 we watched and the first movie wasn't available to stream. Last time I checked, even the Back to the Future trilogy wasn't available. Makes no sense.

flyflinger

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Right, hard to tier price something that does not exist yet. You can bet once the original content catches on, they'll tier it at a premium price point.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Lillyhammer had a great start... but by the end of the season I was only watching it because I was sick and had nothing better to watch (though the finally was fun). The show still has potential, but it is getting a bit too stereotypical too quickly.

I am down to my last few shows to watch... if they do not have more content that perks my interests then I will be gone by the end of the summer. But it has been 6 years... so perhaps a break would be healthy.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]zRobbb[/nom]The content of Netflix in the UK, truly is terrible. i cancelled within two weeks[/citation]
Yeah, Canada is not so good either. I was board so i proxied from the US to see what they get.

Just for fun

That 70's show
Canada gives me The Ellen show
USA gives me That 70's show

Airplane
Canada part 2 only
USA both

Stargate Atlantis
Canada SG1
USA ALL(even SGU)

Back to the Future
Canada gets Futurama
USA gets the 3 movies

Castle
Canada gets ice castles
USA gets (2009-2010) season

Corner Gas. Its a Canadian show
Canada. hell no(used to be one netflix)
USA sure why not

Demolition Man
Canada Nope
USA Yup

Doctor Who. You better get this on the UK netflix
Canada gets Torchwood :)
USA Sure why not.

Dracula
Canada only gets a 1992 one
USA gets all kinds including dead and loving it

Star Trek : Enterprise
Canada Nope
USA Yes

Ghostbusters
Canada No
USA Yes

Home Alone(why the heck not look for that)
Canada No
USA Yes

Hotshots
Canada No
USA both movies

Jurassic Park
Canada gets "Walking with dinosaurs"
USA gets the moves

Just cause
Canada no no no
USA yeah yeah yeah

King of the Hill
Canada No
USA Yes

Law and Order
Canada No
USA Sure

Max Payne
Canada No
USA Yup

Robin Hood : Men in Tights
Canada gets a tv series
USA gets it all

The Running Man
Canada No
USA Yes

Seinfeld
Canada No
USA Yes

Thundercats
Canada No
USA Yes

Start Trek TNG
Canada No
USA Yes

Total Recall
Canada No
USA Yes

I decided NOT to keep Netflix with so little even of older movies to watch.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I'd really like Netflix to add the following features:
International audio tracks.
Surround sound for more devices (only PS3 supports it as far as I know).
Higher video bit-rate.
More sci-fi anime, and more content!!! :)

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Netflix customers are very crappy. Always canceling service for what ever reason. But for $8 per month netfloix has an awesome service. So not sure why everyone is bitching? Or is it becuase netflix customers lack money?

Too often customers are holding netflix hostage, so netflix is backed in a corner and can't do anything to increase profits and will ultimatly die due to the customers. Anytime Netflix tries to increase fees, customers threaten to leave, so netflix can't buy new content as easily as they lack money. Well cheap customers are getting what they deserve, crappy content.

Netflix customers are stunting netflix growth. To all those cheap netflix customers out there, FU. I don't mind paying $12 if there was more content, so quit being so cheap. Either you are with netflix and want to watch them grow or screw off, but quit doing pulling the threating card.

EX: when netflix wated to charge a seperate fee for streaming and dvd rental (which i still cheap), netflix customers started crying like babies. I am surprised some of those netflix customers can even aford internet and a pc.

I800C0LLECT

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
I think the real issue is on demand media. We burn through movies and season so much quicker with on demand services and then we're upset because there's nothing good left to watch.

Blah...you use to have to wait a whole season to watch said season. Now you can do it in a week or a couple days if you really don't have anything to do. How about go outside and tame your TV time. I really have no idea how people can burn through all these shows and movies so quickly then complain about content. Really? It's not just a netflix problem, how many people complain about every other service; i.e. redbox, blockbuster, retail video rental, etc.

This isn't anything new folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.