News Netflix just announced a huge upgrade to the audio experience — and you can try it now

ddf200

Prominent
May 24, 2021
Enjoying surround sound audio, as it was authored and intended to be experienced, requires physical speakers positioned correctly around the listener. NOTHING else can accurately reproduce surround audio.

Reactions: d0x360
Jul 9, 2022
So is this basically Dolby Pro Logic and Pro Logic II? Seems like the author could've delved more into the nerdy specifics of the surround sound processing technology being used here. I think a big miss was stating how this would work with 2.1 stereo systems or pc speaker/subwoofer systems since Netflix is available on computers. If the lfe channel is actually separated properly this would be great on my computer! (For when I don't want to use the home theater setup in the living room)

Jul 9, 2022
I’m sure it’ll sound just amazing (sarcasm).
My family room setup is a Sony HT-A9 w/SW5 and it’s MILES above any sound bar I’ve ever owned/tested, but still doesn’t come close to the experience a dedicated surround system can bring you. My dedicated 135” screen movie theater is a 7.2.4 setup with 2 subwoofers, floor standing fronts, a massive center, 4 surrounds on 3 foot tall stands, and 4 in-ceiling speakers run from an x6500h denon

Nothing beats a real surround setup. Though I do have to admit that spatial audio with AirPods Pro and Max can be pretty convincing in some instances.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Enjoying surround sound audio, as it was authored and intended to be experienced, requires physical speakers positioned correctly around the listener. NOTHING else can accurately reproduce surround audio.
Thank you! I don't get this horrible obsession with sound bars. Also Atmos sucks with upfiring speakers. I know I have 4 of them that thankfully can also be wall mounted and when they are it's amazing and next level.

I've built my system up over the years, right now it's an 11.2 Atmos set-up and it's like being there. No sound bar or TV speakers or headphones will ever come close. Believe me I've tried basically all the spatial audio headphones and they are basically terrible.

If you think they are actually good it only because you haven't experienced the real thing that's been properly setup which requires accurate measurements and careful calibration.

There is genuinely nothing like a great bombastic movie or game in Atmos... Real Atmos. DTS X is also quite nice.

I'm not even an audio snob and I know this 2 speaker crap is just that... Crap. I'd take pro logic 2 over fake atmos any day. At least it requires actually having speakers

Jul 10, 2022

Binaural recordings do exactly what you claim cannot be done. Playback on 2 channels will still allow for the listener to hear which direction a sound came from. Front, rear, left, right, above and below.