Netflix May Become a Cable Channel Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Still, online streaming services could be a thing of the past if cable companies follow Time Warner's lead. As Reuters points out, Time Warner is currently testing a service that actually charges users for the amount of bandwidth they use. Given that streaming video consumers the most data, consumers could very well convert back to their trusty cable box connection.
Why does this feel like we're going backwards technology-wise?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dj88ryr38[/nom]Why is bandwidth not an issue or concern in other technologically advanced countries, but it is in this one?[/citation]

there is a reason why most of the wealthiness companies are american based.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Instead of going back to bacle, we could use stuff like Youtube. There are many shows and movies on youtube and it's all freely available. It's even legal if it's done properly by the uploader.

maxwebb

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Instead of going back to bacle, we could use stuff like Youtube. There are many shows and movies on youtube and it's all freely available. It's even legal if it's done properly by the uploader.[/citation]
Edit "It's even legal if it's done properly by the uploader."
->
It's even *potentially* legal depending on the judge's perspective on the fair use act that particular day.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
bacle, meant cable. Also, as for why it can be legal, I found out that if you have the audio and video in different posts (you need to synchronize them yourself), Youtube won't remove them. I'm not a legal expert, but if Youtube doesn't remove them if this is done, well then it's probably legal. I watched a Pirates movie (On Stranger Tides) this way and the uploader also did the disclaimer notice that basically went yadda yadda I don't own this, xxxxxx owns this, etc, and evidently, that's enough.

Now, this might not mean it is legal, but it seems that Google allows it for some reason, I assumed that meant it was legal. Anyone know anything about this for some clarification?

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]dj88ryr38[/nom]Why is bandwidth not an issue or concern in other technologically advanced countries, but it is in this one?[/citation]
Corporations in this country like to pretend there's scarcity of X. This is how they control the pricing.(X= can be anything; food, water, etc). Bandwidth is one of those and as we all know, that whole charade is holding us back innovative wise and technologically. But they wouldn't gain much by giving every unlimited 100 mbps so instead they go for the 5 mbps with limit

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Simply not enough competition. Also, the cost of doing broadband in the US is higher because this is a bigger and more spread out country, compared to UK and Japan. This is why Cable internet is dominant in the US, and DSL is dominate in the UK. DSL degrades over distance. Also, Cable already had most of the infrastructure in place to offer high speed internet in a large area when it was first available. In a way, they almost monopolize the internet industry.

I pay for 15 Meg DSL for about 70 a month, but I have zero bandwidth limit.

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Which is why netflix reps have been trying to secure new shows:

They recently contacted FOX in regards to Terra Nova,

and Recently contacted MGM regarding Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe.

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I sure hope they don't drop their streaming service, unless a comparable competitor comes along. I mean for $8 per month, along with about 15 over the air broadcast local channels, it keeps my wife and I plenty entertained.

AtaliaA1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I sure hope they don't drop their streaming service, unless a comparable competitor comes along. I mean for $8 per month, along with about 15 over the air broadcast local channels, it keeps my wife and I plenty entertained.

For now maybe. Soon the unllimited users will have to upgrade to newer equipment and it will be said not to be compatable with your unlimited account. Then not so convienent for us. I am surprised Netflix and Hulu aren't at the forefront of this argument that has put a bill in congress. I guess they are waiting to see if they to can pull more money from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.