Netflix Now Available on Nintendo Wii; No HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I have ps3 and wii. I already use the streaming for ps3 but curious to see how it will look on Wii. I already requested my wii disc.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I used a free trial to check out the service on the PS3, and I was impressed.
It's really too bad the Wii isn't set up for something as simple as HD video. Nintendo needs to stop kidding itself, such a limitation is no longer catering to its "target market", it's a limitation.

MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
"Subscribers wanting video higher than the standard resolution can stream the content to the PC, or try the service via the other two consoles."

Not true. The PC can't do HD streaming from netflix yet either.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]halls[/nom]I used a free trial to check out the service on the PS3, and I was impressed.It's really too bad the Wii isn't set up for something as simple as HD video. Nintendo needs to stop kidding itself, such a limitation is no longer catering to its "target market", it's a limitation.[/citation]
Pfft, the target market can't even distinguish between a SD and a HD image without them two being side by side.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
The Wii's main selling point is the game experience. Who needs HD for that? I'd rather have the Wii stay at it's current price (or lower) than it having HD with the same gameplay at a higher cost.

Still, this is good news for cWii owners who don't mind low-res movie streaming.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
netflix streaming is lower than dvd quality with my experience....and i have a 40 meg connection!

the wii will look no different.....

you only take a hit in quality if you drop below 8 meg down on your connection.....

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I got my disk for the Wii about 3-4 weeks ago. Watched a few movies on it so far. Once you get past the setup, it's pretty simple. Picture looked nice on my TV. Movie controls were very basic, no real DVD menu. No subtitles (similar to Netflix streaming on my PC).

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
netflix streaming is NOT HD.....its 480i at best...wii will look no better than xbox or PS3 because of the low quality of netflix streaming in the first place....

about the only way it will ever look good is if you are still using a cheapo tube TV

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Alright now I can stream on all three of my consoles if I want to. The 360 still has the best experience though because of the ability to manage and add to your instant que without having to go online.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I can't believe how many blind people there are. The difference between regular SD and HD video is as significant as the difference between 2D and 3D video. Maybe some folks need to have their eye sight checked.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Got one! Now I can stream Netflix from all 3 of my consoles! Next up: a new TV that can do it!

I'm violating one of the 7 deadly sins right?

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
"...the Nintendo Wii version of Netflix is that it won't stream HD content thanks to the console's hardware limitations--it can't even do 720p."

This is like saying, "unfortunately, it only comes in black and white. It won't even do red!!!"

G

I find the article title amusing. It's almost as someone expected the Wii to be able to do HD. In other news, bicycles can't fly.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'd have been doing this on my 360 for a while now, but don't want to keep up a live gold account just for it. I'd rather get free streaming to my wii at SD levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.