Netflix on Select Android Phones in Early 2011''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I don't really understand why studios are concerned about the content having DRM. It's not like any video, or TV episode ever released hasn't been cracked and been put online for anyone who wishes to obtain it. If people are using Netflix it means they have chosen to obtain it legally...so what's the problem? It's not like pirates would choose to rip their content from a streaming service, instead of the native source anyway.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"Because Android doesn't offer a common platform security mechanism and DRM, the team is having to work with individual handset manufacturers to add content protection to their devices, thus slowing down the over all process and "leading to a fragmented experience on Android," one major Android flaw pointed out by numerous other developers."

When you read the statment above, Netflix on Android doesn't sound that great...
I would like to run it but I know I would not like having a slower phone.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm sorry, but why doesn't the Netflix app incorporate its own DRM service? I don't really know what kind of technology they're talking about here, but why does the phone have to come with the service? Seems to me that the reason these phones don't all have the same DRM service is most likely due to licensing issues. Why should Motorolla or HTC be forced to pay one single DRM producer for a license? Why doesn't Netflix pay for that license?

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]"Because Android doesn't offer a common platform security mechanism and DRM, the team is having to work with individual handset manufacturers to add content protection to their devices, thus slowing down the over all process and "leading to a fragmented experience on Android," one major Android flaw pointed out by numerous other developers."When you read the statment above, Netflix on Android doesn't sound that great...I would like to run it but I know I would not like having a slower phone.[/citation]

Slowing down the process of getting things done, not slowing down the performance of the application. I can hardly wait to use Netflix Streaming on my DROID X. Hopefully supporting Linux is next on their list.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Ah, I'm assuming they're referring to sideloading pirated apps. I guess open source and moddability has to lead to a disadvantage.[/citation]

IM assuming in netflix's case, piracy will be made advantge of in a way of the ability to directly download streaming media directly to the phone

Status
Not open for further replies.