Netflix progressive audio delay with BR player and Toshiba smart TV

Scooter B

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014
I purchased a Toshiba 32L221U "smart" TV advertised as having built in Netflix, YouTube etc apps but after setting it up the TV does not connect directly to the Internet but rather only receives a Chromecast signal from a mobile device. Streaming through Chromecast seems to work fine (no audio delay from video) BUT I don't really want to tie up my mobile device just to watch Netflix.

I bought a Sony WiFi enabled BR player (BPD-S6500) via HDMI cable to avoid having to tie up a mobile device but getting progressively severe audio delay that is out of sync with the video. If I shut the unit off and restart a Netflix title from previous position audio starts off in sync but within one minute there is a noticeable delay. Within 5 minutes there is a full one second audio delay. Since I use the exact same BR player at my other house with no issues to a Sony TV I thought I must have got a bad unit so I exchanged the BR player. Still have same problem with replacement BR player but still have no audio delays with using Chromecast. YouTube over the BR player also demonstrates same progressive audio delay but like Netflix- YouTube plays fine over Chromecast from my iPad.

I have disabled all sound effects and disabled surround sound etc to minimize audio processing.

The TV has an audio delay setting that lets you add audio delay but of course nothing that lets you adjust for delayed audio.

The only other variable I can think of is that when I picked up the BR player I grabbed an "open box" discounted 3' HDMI cable... I could be wrong but from my understanding either the HDMI cable transmits on all channels or it doesn't or could possibly add some kind of noise if damaged but it shouldn't be able to delay an audio signal should it?

Internet download speeds appear adequate and audio/video sync works over the Chromcast as previously indicated.

I suppose I could buy another HDMI cable easy enough to double check but really doubt that could be the issue. No audio delay issues with over the air broadcast and I don't keep any DVD's out at this location to test DVDs for audio delays.

Any ideas?

Scooter B

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014

We can close this thread for now. Second unit won't even connect to WiFi again. Spent several hours with and without tech support and unit went bad. Going to try a Roku stick instead I think