Netflix Stock Tanks After New Q3 Forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The Starz content on netflix is 99.9% crap anyway. Good ridden to them. Netflix should probably say this out loud for the public to gain some traction and recover their losses.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I'd call out Starz and Sony on their "valuable content." I believe Netflix does much more for them than vice versa.

As for splitting up their service into dvd/streaming, I just canceled my DVD subscription, which wasn't as valuable to me as the streaming anyways.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Does anyone really care about Starz? The company sounds like it's holding on for dear life to survive.

I really like Netflix. The Wii version is slick and it works perfect with the wiimote. This price hike is absurd though, and hopefully it made Netflix realize that it's not invincible like it thought it was. You can't screw your customers over like that.

It would be great for them to drop the price back down after all the negative publicity, but I doubt that will ever happen.

G

Gotta say I love the appropriateness of the picture in relation to the article.

Oh well, more power to the consumers for learning to talk with their wallets. Wish more people would do the same.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
People are freaking out over those numbers??!??!?! Point something out of millions??? If it was a couple million, SURE I can see some panic.

G

Wow...seriously? Ok, so they only have 37 millions subscribers left...

Also, their prices are dirt cheap. It's by far the bet out there. People should stop whining.

G

Except they've raised prices on consumers yet their streaming library is only getting smaller with the exit of Starz Play. It sort of contradicts their third point:

"3. to enable us, with the growth in revenue, to license more streaming content and thereby improve our streaming service even more"

G

Netflix was offering Starz more than 10 times their original contract and Starz declined them and went to Blockbuster (makes you wonder if it wasn't some sort of secret deal ahead of time). I think content providers are finally taking online streaming seriously and are really pressuring Netflix for MUCH higher payments. So taking into account the greed of content providers and also the ISP's which are probably also pressuring Netflix - Even a 60% increase in price is pretty justifiable I think.
But it wasn't really a 60% increase in price - they just took away a promotional offer. Which honestly even if they really increased everyone's fees by 60% - they'd still be the cheapest in the market and if you're totally broke - then eat at McDonalds one day less out of the month or don't have your Starbucks coffee for two days.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
They don't want to state the real reason that when they go back to negotiate their contracts next year, they'll need extra revenue just to buy the content they already had because the providers are now getting better offers from more powerful companies like Blockbuster (DISH network). I agree with their need to raise prices, but the execution was horrible. No one likes an over 50 percent increase, regardless of the reasoning.

Netflix wants to increase their streaming, but it will cost them far too much to get the streaming rights for a larger catalog. They have an advantage in how many devices can currently play Netflix easily, but they could lose this advantage pretty easily if Blockbuster got on those devices. Their real advantage right now is in the DVD rental, this is where they should expand. Redbox is fine for new releases, but they can't keep a large catalog in those little machines. There is little competition for older release DVD/BR rental and their mail based business could keep a massive physical catalog. There's a growing amount of competition for streaming content, they're going to lose ground on that front.

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
There aren't 37 million subscribers. Many of those are Streaming + DVD plan users.

This article is missing some key info:
Fewer customers than expected are opting to take Netflix's DVD-only subscription package. Netflix now expects to have 2.2 million such subscribers, down from the previous forecast of 3 million. The company also cut its forecast for streaming-only subscribers, to 21.8 million from 22 million.
IE: 1 million less customers than projected, 4%

And also:
At the end of September, Netflix predicts it will have 24 million U.S. subscribers. That would be down from 24.6 million at the end in June. It will be only the second time in Netflix's history that the company's customer count has fallen from one quarter to the next.
IE: Investors are predicting that Netflix is going to continue to shed customers. Especially with the loss of Starz content and nothing to replace it with.

darasen

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2005
$16 is still a great value for what Netflix offers. Premium channels like HBO or Showtime are utter crap. the best thing they offer are their original series and even if you like those are they really worth the cost for a, maybe, two shows?

Yes, the rate jump does seem to be a large one percentage wise but I still wouldn't give Blockbuster or Dish a dime of my money.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I'm sorta confused why netflix goes straight to production studios to serve as an intermediary for on-demand type content. It would be a great site to host a new show, and would probably generate a ton more views.

Could have subscription rates based on shows/studios/titles/ whatever.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
The pre cursor to my last statement is, the model for Cable TV is dying, and Netflix is in the best position to satisfy the most consumers.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]gibsnium[/nom]Wow...seriously? Ok, so they only have 37 millions subscribers left...Also, their prices are dirt cheap. It's by far the bet out there. People should stop whining.[/citation]

there cheaper here in canada. no price hike here. i still won't subscribe because i hate auto renew subs

G

I use to have Netflix, dropped them recently because of their price hike and selection shrinkage, especially for instant streaming. Now I use Amazon Instant since it came free with my prime membership and has more interesting shows and movies on it than Netflix currently has.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]6874654987[/nom]Netflix was offering Starz more than 10 times their original contract and Starz declined them and went to Blockbuster (makes you wonder if it wasn't some sort of secret deal ahead of time). I think content providers are finally taking online streaming seriously and are really pressuring Netflix for MUCH higher payments. So taking into account the greed of content providers and also the ISP's which are probably also pressuring Netflix - Even a 60% increase in price is pretty justifiable I think.But it wasn't really a 60% increase in price - they just took away a promotional offer. Which honestly even if they really increased everyone's fees by 60% - they'd still be the cheapest in the market and if you're totally broke - then eat at McDonalds one day less out of the month or don't have your Starbucks coffee for two days.[/citation]

i love people who make sense.

[citation][nom]darasen[/nom]$16 is still a great value for what Netflix offers. Premium channels like HBO or Showtime are utter crap. the best thing they offer are their original series and even if you like those are they really worth the cost for a, maybe, two shows? Yes, the rate jump does seem to be a large one percentage wise but I still wouldn't give Blockbuster or Dish a dime of my money.[/citation]

well with hbo, not sure about stars, its uncensored movies on tv.
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]I'm sorta confused why netflix goes straight to production studios to serve as an intermediary for on-demand type content. It would be a great site to host a new show, and would probably generate a ton more views.Could have subscription rates based on shows/studios/titles/ whatever.[/citation]

because networks want 2-6$ per episode when people watch it online, and are onley staring to accept comertials online as a acceptable revinue source. remember the people they are dealing with have no qualms of killing a persons life (a 20-250k debt would kill most people's lives) for a few $

Status
Not open for further replies.