Netflix Taps Microsoft’s Silverlight for Second-gen Media Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

aapocketz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
yeah not sure why though. What makes the Mac hardware special?

I think they may be saying eventually it will be cross platform client, but for now will not work on macOS?

currently netflix only works on windows + IE + win media player 14. Kinda a bummer for me since I use ubuntu / mythbuntu

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
It is funny that they appear to be releasing it for MacOS X and using an M$ product to do it. The press release is a little unclear in that it mentions PCs and Macs, but appears to indicate the initial roll-out will be Mac only. My guess is that it's to control the number of users while they test it (fewer Macs = fewer users) plus, Macs have a more consistent hardware/software/OS configuration, so you also have a more controlled environment, better for initial testing/debugging.

Note to Netflix' Mac users, you're about to become a test subject.

Of course, the real "fun" begins when they do release the Windows version. How many different hardware/OS/driver/browser configurations are there?

Why does Netflix insist on tying their online viewing to M$ products? First IE/Win, now Silverlight.

Silverlight, just say no!

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
geoffs, they have to use something. If they don't tie it to MS with Silverlight they tie it to Adobe with Flash or to "Sun" with Java. It's no different.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Yuck, Silverlight is just a way to beam advertising to your PC.

There's nothing wrong with Netflix's streaming viewer, I use it I love it...on slow broadband.

Unless they consider no ads something wrong. See yuck, above.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I'd be willing to give Netflix another shot on Windows when they switch to Silverlight... I had to abandon my hopes of using their current solution on my media center as their DRM plugin junk made MCE stop working.

Status
Not open for further replies.