Solved! Netflix will not play in 4k with my PC and receiver.

chirsxblade

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
Alright so this is a lot of working components and I'm not sure where to start at all.
I'm trying to get my PC (i5-4440, RX 470 4GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM) to play in 4k with my Yamaha RX-V381 with my LG 49UF6700 TV. I have the TV connected to the receiver with an HDMI 2.0 cable. I have read in another forum I would need an extension from the Microsoft store a HVEC Video Extension which I have purchased. My GPU is up to date in it's drivers. ARC on the receiver is turned on. I do have the plan for the 4k video on Netflix. However, even after all of this when I go to the Netflix app on the Microsoft store, select a show that IS in 4k, and have confirmed the playback is for 4k my system loses its HDMI signal. The receiver doesn't turn off but it's like it just stops communicating with my PC. The only way to get the signal back is to restart my PC. What am I missing here?

Solution
Does it work fine for 1080p?
Your PC HDMI out has to be HDMI 2.0 or better for the TV to display 4k. The TV won't accept the signal if it isn't regardless of the cable you use. There are displayport to HDMI 2.0 adapters which might help.
You can connect the PC directly to the TV to find out if the problem is in the receiver or the HDMI cables.
Not sure whether HVEC has anything to do with it.
ARC has nothing at all to do with it. ARC uses the HDMI cable that sends video from the receiver to send audio from the TV to the receiver without needed another cable. Turn it off if you don't use the TV tuner or smart apps.
Does it work fine for 1080p?
Your PC HDMI out has to be HDMI 2.0 or better for the TV to display 4k. The TV won't accept the signal if it isn't regardless of the cable you use. There are displayport to HDMI 2.0 adapters which might help.
You can connect the PC directly to the TV to find out if the problem is in the receiver or the HDMI cables.
Not sure whether HVEC has anything to do with it.
ARC has nothing at all to do with it. ARC uses the HDMI cable that sends video from the receiver to send audio from the TV to the receiver without needed another cable. Turn it off if you don't use the TV tuner or smart apps.

Solution