Netflix's Price Hike For More Streaming Content?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
This would be fine if they had more options to stream. I find myself only wanting to watch the movies that I have to watch on dvd's and then wanting to stream the TV Shows. If they had all available movies able to stream that would be great and I would pay more. I dont see that happening anytime soon though.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
"We will take the increased revenue and mostly spend it on more streaming content … we want to be able to have stronger and stronger streaming."
Mostly? So....where's the rest going? Staff or management pay raises?

Screw Netflix....they can join Blockbuster.... I'm sick of dealing with greedy companies....

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Netflix is all about delivering content. They sign contracts with companies for access to the content they deliver. With all the Sony movies being pulled due to price increases, it makes sense that Netflix is trying to generate more revenue...to sign more contracts...to get access to more content...to make the use experience that much better. I'll be using the streaming-only service. The DVD can go die. In fact, keeping their streaming service at the same price ($7.99) as it currently is, and reducing DVD service, means they have more money to spend on Sony and other content providers.

I understand that others are used to getting DVD's, and I understand I might not be an average user... But I've had Netflix for 8 months and I've moved maybe 3-4 DVD's through my queue in that time. It's too much hassle for me.

Bring on the content Netflix, you'd better have some great new movies to combat all the negative press.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I wont work out. All this does is promote cheap asses (most of the middle class world) to steal more things online for find a friend that can. I would assume two large changes are going to happen (well actually 3). 1. Hulu Plus subscribers will jump considerably (too bad the PLUS subscribers still have commercials that are WAY TO LONG, 15sec max, imo, is the best). 2. Redbox and blockbuster kiosks will see considerable jumps in sales until the people get tired of all the new movies being out of stock (which will happen A LOT) and 3. The revenue won't be much higher for Netflix as even if they were to loose 25% of their customers (which i presume they would), they aren't going to generate the difference in sales. For instance, I get 1 dvd + streaming for $10/month now. If I were to magically stay with them (which I wont, i'll be saving as much money as possible, because I am one of the few smart Americans) I would now be giving them $8/month instead of $10. So they loose 2 dollars from me, every month and probably another 50% of the current customer base. Now if 25% magically do both (and the chance of that are extremely UNLIKELY) they will simply be breaking even on the lost customers (assuming 2 dvds + streaming) that decide to do both now (1 more dollar per month).

However, it's more than likely that people won't see a deal in it anymore as the pricing structure has drastically changed and will instead quit. So I am thinking more so %30-%40 drop customer rate. STUPID business decision. Plus we all know the greedy MPAA and RIAA refuse to accept that industries change, so they will do everything in their power to prevent giving good/new content to Netflix streaming.
My 2 cents

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Your points are all valid antilycus, but supposing that a large percentage of subscribers (like you and me) start giving Netflix $8 instead of $10, they also no longer need to maintain a shipping infrastructure. Close down 3 warehouses and use the funds for 5 more data centers! Liquidate physical assets in trade for server infrastructure and content delivery systems! I can't imagine so many people leaving Netflix. I think 90% of those average Joes out there are gonna eat the cost, or downgrade to streaming only.

computertech82

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
well....i've found out so far the "NEW" streaming is the OLD star trek movies. You know, the ones that were on tv MANY times after being hits in movie theatres.
Also a few more "new" movies dating back YEARS ago. not exactly promising. if i can't get my money's worth (less then $2 per movie - aka 4+ decent movies to streaming per month), no need to keep it.

harbingerkts

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Then, simply put, to restore brand faith they have to demonstrably prove that the price increases led to a LOT more content on streaming, hopefully sooner rather than later for them. Granted contract negotiations and encoding take time, but after a shake-up like this leading to 25-50% increases in fees sooner rather than later is what is needed to restore faith in brand and if they fail then they have no one but themselves and the content industries to blame.

G

c'mon guys, dont stop drinking the kool-aid... "new release" means its new to netflix... yes we are redefining the industry standards... you must continue to drink in order to be excited about 30 year old new releases... c'mon guys! :D

harbingerkts

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
c'mon guys, dont stop drinking the kool-aid... "new release" means its new to netflix... yes we are redefining the industry standards... you must continue to drink in order to be excited about 30 year old new releases... c'mon guys!

It sounds trivial, but that's the way IP rights work for music/video. Even if it's an old piece of media, if it expands the library it's another technical victory. I know it sounds apologetic, but every one of those minor "new to netflix" victories they can point to where they can show they gave the IP increased viewership gives their distribution methods more street cred.

neokaer

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
At first I was mad about the price change, but then I realized that I only stream now, and if it means not being disapointed when I search for movies to stream then I'm all for it.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
The only way for me to come back to Netflix, if they would be able to offer the latest episodes of my favourite TV shows, before they even come out to TV.

onyx_64

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
[citation][nom]cburke82[/nom]This would be fine if they had more options to stream. I find myself only wanting to watch the movies that I have to watch on dvd's and then wanting to stream the TV Shows. If they had all available movies able to stream that would be great and I would pay more. I dont see that happening anytime soon though.[/citation]
Completely agree.. If they first brought good streaming and THEN hiked the fee, people would just go to streaming.. as oppposed to stopping the subscription altogether, or going DVD only (which is what is happening now)

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Price increases are a bummer but I've never had a problem with netflix and if it means more streaming content then I'm content.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Said it the first time, I'll say it again. You increase the price AFTER you deliver the content, not before. You don't keep customers in the world of retail with promises of what may come if they just pay more now. INVEST in the present and get returns in the future.

You deliver all the content in your DVD catalog on streaming and you can burn the DVD side down. Until then it's needed. There are things on DVD I can't get on instant.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i have to ask a few questions.

why do moveis come out in thearters only any more? why not charge... lets say... 20-30$ for the movie on netflix for 9 months, than move it over to streaming?

my pc has a beter screen and sound system than any theater within 50 miles of where my a** is currently planted. most theaters are out of focus or have such a dirty screen it makes moveis unwatchable around here. and i would pay 30$ to watch at home because i usualy pay 30$ to see it in theaters when all is said and done, 50 if we stop by food stands.

i despise the mpaa and movie studios.

twile

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Mostly? So....where's the rest going? Staff or management pay raises?Screw Netflix....they can join Blockbuster.... I'm sick of dealing with greedy companies....[/citation]

How about on physical disks, you idiot? As a Netflix user, their Blu-ray selection could use some updating.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Bottom line is that the economy is bad and this is a price increase. People can't just shit more money, so they are going to choose.

Oh wait, I forgot, this is the USA, most people just "borrow more" or "raise their debt ceiling"

Status
Not open for further replies.