Solved! Network Security. Is my network secure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOctober67

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015
We have no IT professional employed at my company, and I'd like a second opinion if our network is secure. I know it is not, but some at my company believe that it is.

Our network has no server, configured like a star, and all the computers can see eachother over the network. Some of the computers have full access to the internet with no restrictions, the antivirus on these computers is often a free version(is that illegal?) like AVG, McAfee, avast! Other computers have the internet switched off and no antivirus also are connected to the same network as the computers with full access to the internet/emails. In addition, these computers are VERY old(windows 98). Even though these computers aren't connected to the internet does that leave the system vulnerable to attacks? Also, none of these computers are password protected.

Solution
Well for a company it sure sounds sketchy but the is nothing illegal about it. Using a free anti-virus is fine, but not recommended for a business. Also having old computers not connected to the internet does'nt affect your network security. Maybe you could push a bit for people to at least use passwords. Sketchy stuff but i dont think anything is illegal.

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Well for a company it sure sounds sketchy but the is nothing illegal about it. Using a free anti-virus is fine, but not recommended for a business. Also having old computers not connected to the internet does'nt affect your network security. Maybe you could push a bit for people to at least use passwords. Sketchy stuff but i dont think anything is illegal.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.