Never Wonder Which Switch is For What Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Looks cool, but I have a few doubts...

- In a time where energy efficiency is king and all unneeded stand by lights are being switched off ever more, you would add a lit switch?
- I must be special, but personally I never forget which switch operates what...
- Strict parents that need a switch to keep their kid off WoW can hardly be considered strict parents in my opinion.

Interesting but it sounds like it would be expensive. It also needs more icons than just light bulbs as there are plenty of other devices that use a switch. In my house there are exhaust fans, wall plates, a garbage disposal and ceiling fans. Would these devices be interconnected so that you can see all switches in the house that are on or off.

Really it would have made more sense for this to be a cheap control panel for X10 home automation and/or other such product types.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I kinda like my switches the way they are... hey I flipped on the switch and my lights came on. In today's economy I imagine this may be a little bit cost prohibitive considering the cost of the switch new wiring and the fact you will probably need an electrician to install all of it.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
That could be done on an iphone or iPad or iBoard.

Also, to remotely shut-off a kids computer such as WOW... password it or remote lock his internet access through the router. Many routers even have TIME clocks to allow active use, etc.

G

How you gonna use it when the power goes down? a normal switch still works in that situation... fail.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
[citation][nom]fiddle_sticks[/nom]How you gonna use it when the power goes down? a normal switch still works in that situation... fail.[/citation]

and the lights and computers that this thing can control will?

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]fiddle_sticks[/nom]How you gonna use it when the power goes down? a normal switch still works in that situation... fail.[/citation]

LMAO

Why do you need to turn the lights off if the power is out?

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

For understanding how electricity works.... Epic Fail!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008

ummmm....no you fail.

randomizer

Distinguished
You're not an engineer I hope.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Hope it doesn't run Windows... Otherwise you might want to keep some candles handy. "I can't turn on the lights, my light switch is BSOD'ing during bootup!!"

vcbb10

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I think some people would miss physical switches. Being able to turn a corner and find a physical switch is easier then turning a corner and having to look at a touch panel. Other then that, it looks pretty cool.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
LOL, they've made switches with LED in them for decades (at least in Taiwan and Japan). The LED will lit up when light is off and off when the light is on. That way, you can tell which light is on and also find the switch at night. The number of switches also corresponds to the number of lights in the room.

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Hope it doesn't run Windows... Otherwise you might want to keep some candles handy. "I can't turn on the lights, my light switch is BSOD'ing during bootup!!"[/citation]

Hope it doesn't run on Mac OSX... Otherwise it might be a real pain in the a$$ if you wanted to change around some light fixtures.. heck even the bulbs..

Status
Not open for further replies.