New $199 Xbox 360 Slim (Arcade) Imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
If it doesn't have the hdd (and still hopefully has wifi), can I take out the hdd of my regular 360 and put it in the new one?

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]blakeyon2asd[/nom]Lol I just traded my xbox for some computer parts lol at least I got a sapphire 5870 out of it[/citation]

That 5780 is worth more than the console lol

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Funny, while reading this there was a ad below the comments "360 RROD Repair Service"

On a lighter note, i hope these new 360's aren't plagued by any bigs, glitches or hardware failures!

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]"likely it'll lack the 250GB HDD present in the $299 model (similar to the current Arcade)." The 299$ model?![/citation]
I'm an idiot I forgot the new one was 299$

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Isnt this slightly outdated by 5 years or so...Their repackaging it, new paint adding bigger hard drive games will look the same old crappy 720p with jaggies, no thanks. Now back to playing Bad Company 2 at 2560 x 1600 with 8X AA and 16X AF no jaggies. Thats 1600p for those of you that think 720p is HD, lol.[/citation]

Even though you are clearly an arrogant dbag I am extremely jealous. Although I guarantee I still own you on BC2 with my 1440x900 low settings on a laptop. Yay for 45 fps.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]If it doesn't have the hdd (and still hopefully has wifi), can I take out the hdd of my regular 360 and put it in the new one?[/citation]

Nope... the HD is basically sealed in an enclosure in the 360 slim.

Sucks.

ColMirage

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]If it doesn't have the hdd (and still hopefully has wifi), can I take out the hdd of my regular 360 and put it in the new one?[/citation]

Nah, the new Xbox model has an internal hard drive that's shaped differently. I haven't heard of any external slot for the old HD model.

G

I find the hype on this console so funny, as someone already pointed out, they didn't change a thing...
It's the same as the Super Elite version, with dedicated kinect and wireless connection.
The first, can be achieved with the usb adapter for kinect, the former, a shame that wasn't included already when the first version shipped.
M$ is probably happy tho, they just change that plastic case and manage to get more sales :p

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]ColMirage[/nom]Nah, the new Xbox model has an internal hard drive that's shaped differently. I haven't heard of any external slot for the old HD model.[/citation]

Yeah, but wikipedia says that the internal drive is "swappable".

If it's in an enclosure on the inside, perhaps it's possible to pull the actual hard drive out of the container and put it into the new thing.

G

Anon823492347 : you do much reading before stating your opinion based on wrong assumptions?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I actually have doubts that there will be any noteworthy level of serious hardware failure (permanent RROD) on the "slim" 360 at a rate higher than that for PS3s and Wiis.

The original Xbox 360 had its infamous RROD issue due to the motherboard design; the connection between the GPU and the motherboard would warp due to the intense heat put out, and some of the contacts would be lost, rendering the console unusable. Each revision has addressed this in some way, either by adding extra cooling, (heatsinks/fans) using die shrinks to cut how hot it ran, or altering the design to more firmly attach the GPU to the board.

Although I'm not 100% positive, what I've seen of the new Xbox 360 motherboard shows a radical redesign, that apparently has the CPU and GPU packaged together, under one giant, monolithic heatsink, with a large fan. This design would likely use a different package type for the chips, one which would make the previous form of failure virtually impossible.

That's not to say that the 360 slim won't have failures; all consoles in the modern era have a failure rate, and even the much-vaunted Wii apparently fails 3-6% of the time. But the old, 15-30% rates seen for the 360 that made it infamous should be a thing of the past now.

As for the hard drive, the Slim's HDD is internal, just like the PS3 and original Xbox's. The plus side is that it might be more possible to replace it with a giant-size one affordably; my bets are that it'll use one of the standard form-factors for 2.5" drives, either the fatter desktop drive, or the thinner laptop formfactor. So modders, say goodbye to your 250GB Xbox 360, and say hello to your new 1 terabyte Xbox 360!

G

@denroy888

Yes I do, care to elaborate what was wrong on my post ?

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
if with the with 199USD version just a HDD rip off, that's fine with me, I can get a 500GB with 100 dollar if the HDD is swappable.

Status
Not open for further replies.