New Artificial Kidney a Viable Alternative to Dialysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
The quantities required would mean it would need to be refilled quite frequently - which would mean regular risk of infection. It would also make the device that much more complex and incorporate more points of failure. Add on the added R&D costs and you're easily tripling the price. If you could just take pills to replace the lost hormones, it would be much cheaper and safer.

This is all assuming we can produce the needed compounds synthetically and that they can be introduced orally. I've no idea if we can or not.

G

As of right now, we inject synthetic erythropoietin intravenously (through the dialysis machine during treatment) or subcutaneously to aid the body in the production of red blood cells since the kidney can no longer do so. As of right now, there is no oral form.

I would love to see how much this "kidney" would cost and who would be eligible to receive it. All dialysis patients? Only transplant patients? It cost over $5000 per month per patient for dialysis. I have had patients on dialysis for over 20 years. Would this be more cost effective in the long run?

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]We can produce the substances the kidney produce synthetically why can't we include it in the kidney and let it time release?[/citation]
There would be no easy way to refill the kidney with these substances when it runs out.
They do replace some substances during dialysis but it doesnt work as well as when a kidney is in place. Probably other factors/substances involved.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I have one kidney and my mother passed away due to renal failure. I would love to see this technology widely implemented in my lifetime.

headloser

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
We can't even safety nor make last longing artificial parts for the human body and yet we have send peoples to the moon. By the way, that a good thing about the moon part.
WHO need the biology parts of our body are way superior than what we can even produced today.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]We can produce the substances the kidney produce synthetically why can't we include it in the kidney and let it time release?[/citation]
I'll bet you they never thought of that, what with them spending all day every day working on the artificial kidney problem. Maybe you should send then your suggestion.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]I expect life to be more important than a made up monetary system. So yeah.[/citation]
It must be nice to live in fantasy land where doctors spend tens of thousands (or more) to get their degrees, spend a few more years of their life as an intern, then take a minimum wage job to ensure they stay in debt until they die.

The people doing the research are people too, and they have needs. Money is how we fulfill those needs in the real world. This evil money has enabled research into things that likely never would have happened if there weren't huge monetary rewards for the pharmaceutical companies (not that they aren't taking advantage of us and screwing us at every turn too).

It's an imperfect system, but it's the only one we've got.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]If costs were never a factor, we'd already have had this shit a LONG time ago. Thanks capitalism! You greedy C-sucking bastards.[/citation]
if you knew anything, you would realize that those greed capitalists would WANT to bring this to market as fast as possible so that they can make money!!
Capitalism is what makes the world work. Ever wonder why this was created here and not North Korea?!?!

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Reminded me of the the "Bicentennial Man" and all of the synthetic organs. I hope it works - it'll save a lot of folks not to mention the side effects of dialysis!!! :)

G

Dialysis has been obsolete for the past 15 years: http://trishatorrey.com/2008/05/06/conspiracy-theories-reversing-kidney-disease-and-personalized-medicine/ If more people knew about it, then 90% of kidney failure could be prevented, and there'd be plenty of cadaver kidneys (35,000/yr) for the relatively few remaining kidney failure patients (10,000/yr, instead of 100,000/yr). So, no shortage of kidneys, and no waiting list. Prevention is always the cheapest way to get the best outcomes. But spreading the word has been hard, dialysis being such a lucrative procedure for healthcare. Each dialysis patient brings in $100K/yr for the 2-3 yrs that they're typically alive.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
2016 seems a little optimistic! I with new memory and battery technology came that fast. This seems way more complicated. The real tissue in could be susceptible to disease, antibiotics, medications, rejection, and forming dangerous bacteria.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]fuzznarf[/nom]if you knew anything, you would realize that those greed capitalists would WANT to bring this to market as fast as possible so that they can make money!! Capitalism is what makes the world work. Ever wonder why this was created here and not North Korea?!?![/citation]

You miss his point though idiot.

Without everything being based off money we would be far more advanced. It wouldn't be a matter of "can we make money off of it?" it would be a matter of "does this benefit humanity?"

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]And don't even say people wouldn't research without the incentive to become rich. Saying that, makes you look about as clueless as you are - seeing as some of the greatest minds in the world care not about money, rather than helping man kind and progressing civilization.[/citation]

Don't forget dying because of the shortcomings or lack of progress of current state of technology and civilization!!

Status
Not open for further replies.