New ASUS laptop, pros and cons of fresh W10 install

Jet3030

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014
Hello everyone. I just bought a new laptop and really don't like all of the pre-loaded stuff. I have been using home built PC's for a couple of years now and totally forgot about bloatware. Will a clean install affect the warranty at all? I guess I should have started at the ASUS website, but I figured I could get more/better info here. I guess as long as I don't delete the recovery partition, I can install any OS I want. Right?

Solution
The only experience I have doing this to a stock PC it did remove absolutely everything, but I don't have the same model of laptop you do. It's fully possible that it didn't remove everything and I didn't notice because it's a "Microsoft Signature" system and doesn't have any crap on the image.

If you're worried about it Microsoft allows you to download Windows 10 from their site and burn a CD or USB key to do a fresh install.

Quixit

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014
No it doesn't affect your warranty, but they will probably wipe and reload a stock image if they work on it.

The easiest thing you can do is hold down shift and click restart. From the diagnostic screens there select "refresh computer" and it will wipe your computer and you'll end up with a totally fresh copy of Windows. Otherwise, if you install another OS you're totally on your own for drivers so make sure they're available first.

Jet3030

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014

Thank you for the reply. That sounds a lot easier than a clean install but it appears that it won't remove the preinstalled apps. I got to the last screen, "Reset this PC", and it says that it will remove all apps and programs that didn't come with the PC. Sound like I'm stuck with the bloatware without a clean install =(

Quixit

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014
The only experience I have doing this to a stock PC it did remove absolutely everything, but I don't have the same model of laptop you do. It's fully possible that it didn't remove everything and I didn't notice because it's a "Microsoft Signature" system and doesn't have any crap on the image.

If you're worried about it Microsoft allows you to download Windows 10 from their site and burn a CD or USB key to do a fresh install.

Solution
G

Hey Jet3030,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Have you tried going into the control panel and removing your unwanted programs? You can also use programs like Jv16 and cCleaner to do so as well. Please feel free to contact me should you need further assistance with this matter. My email is cl-tom@asus.com and our 24/7 support line is posted below. Have a great day!

Thank you for choosing ASUS
Best Regards,
Tom
Asus Customer Loyalty US Support
http://www.asus.com/us/support/CallUs