New Asus laptop suddenly lagging esp in Opera

maeverie

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
I got the ASUS F550VX back in September and I've been using it for video editing, playing Sims 4 and casual internet browsing
Specs: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz, up to 3.5GHz
RAM: 8GB, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 950M. Windows 10
I've also got an SSD of 128GB and a 1TB HDD, both are only half filled up
Pretty much everything that asked for updates, I've updated.

Last week I went into The Sims 4 which I've always played with no issues in the highest visual settings and a few minutes later it started to lag awfully. It went down to 5-7fps. I thought it was the game only, but my laptop all together started lagging about 15mins after every boot-up, mainly in Opera (the system was alright, and Firefox was working better). A few days before that Song Vegas was being laggy with the video previews, which hadn't happened to me before.

I noticed it worked a bit better in Opera after a few hours of being on, but it would get back to that laggy state if I plugged it out (i haven't had any issues with it being unplugged though? I've played The Sims 4 like that just fine, no lag). I've reinstalled it, cleared up data, no change.

The only things I did differently in the days before it started lagging were buying a new cooler (I've set it to another, stronger, one because I thought it was overheating, it showed no difference.) and not using it for ~30hrs because I was out of the country.

Core Temp shows about 60 degrees, and around 90 while The Sims 4 was on.

I've ran scans with ESET and Malwarebytes and they found nothing. I have ad blockers on all browsers. I've also cleaned around with CCleaner. I've had a professional look at it, also found nothing.

Not sure what to do anymore. I don't want to switch to another browser or use it differently (I keep lots of tabs open so I can navigate quickly through stuff. I've always done that.)

maeverie

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017

I haven't cracked the thing open and I don't have any of that either. Could it solve my lag issues?