New Dell freezing up

ronaldhefner

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
Hi, all. Got a brand new Dell laptop, Inspiron 15 3000, Windows 8.1. It has frozen up on me at last 20 times in the past two weeks, usually when I'm online. The mouse freezes, control-alt-delete doesn't work, nothing. I have to do a hard re-start.

When I got the machine, I installed Classic Shell, Dashlane, Norton 360, and Office 365, along with my HP printer software and Nikon camera software. None of these caused any problems on my previous Gateway laptop. I've switched browsers from IE to Chrome to Firefox--doesn't matter.

I uninstalled Norton and Classic Shell and disabled Dashlane--no difference.

Tried the Windows 10 upgrade--The machine froze up 3 times and the upgrade failed.

I've run a full system scan, and it reports no problems!

Help! I've only got about 2 more weeks before my 30-day return period expires. Is it worth trying to find the problem, or should I just return the machine? Maybe I got a bad Windows 8 install? Maybe I got a bad hard drive?

I did make a restore drive on a flash, but this problem happened the first day, so I doubt if a system restore would help (?).

Specs:
500 G hard drive
8 G RAM (I upgraded it from 4 but it didn't help)
Intel i5 5th generation processor

Thanks,
Ron

Hello ronaldhefner

If I were you, I would have tried to restore the system using the Flash Drive just once and if the problem was still there, I would have used my 30-days return policy to return the laptop back to the seller right away. You may want to do this as well. :)

Good Luck!!

ronaldhefner

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

Thanks. It had already frozen up twice before I had a chance to make a system restore drive. So I suspect some bad hardware. Anyway, I managed to ship it back before the 30 days was up. Now, I probably have to wait forever for the refund!

BTW, I replaced it with an HP laptop (15-ac121dx) that I copped for only $400, the the machine runs great. Highly recommended for those on a budget. 1 TB hard drive, 6 G RAM, and quad core i3 Intel processor. I expected the processor to be a bit slow, but to my surprise, it's pretty speedy. Nice touch screen, too!

Ron