New Dell Inspiron 13" 7000 - Slow wifi speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
I purchased a new laptop at BesBuy 2 weeks ago: Dell Inspiron 13 7000 – I7368-0027 (6th generation i5, 8Gb DDR4 Ram and 256 Gb SSD)
Got it at a good price ($500)
I took it on vacation, and found the wifi speed not impressive. But I thought it was because of the wifi from the hotel

But now I’m back home, and when I do a Speed test (with Speedtest.net), I have bad results (10 Mpbs…the best I can get was this morning with 30 Mpbs)
With my Android tablet, I have up to 60 Mbps, and with my previous laptop (5 years old with an Intel 7260 wifi card) I was measuring a consistent 85/90 Mbps
After verification, the wifi card in the Dell is a Dual band Intel 3165….so slower than the 7260

My question is: is it normal to have “only” 30 Mbps with that card, or should I still be able to get the 90 Mbps I was having with my 7260?
But right now, I find it slow……When I surf the CNN website for example, I find it slow. It’s frustrating for a new laptop

So if the 3165 card is the limiting factor, I will have to return it to BestBuy (even though the 14 days limit has just passed.....but just by 1 day for now)

Solution
It shouldn't degrade it like that. Sounds like a flaw in their setup to me.

You can change the options for individual area/items... when you go into "Control Panel" then "Power Options", you should see a "Change Plan Settings" link next to each plan type. When you click on that (for the plan you are using), the next screen will have a "Change Advanced Power Settings" link. Click that and it will bring up a list of all items you can adjust for that setup. Actually, you should be able to change all "Plan Settings" from this screen (there should be a drop down with the "Plan Settings" at the top of this window.

From here you can change other things to not drain your power while not effecting the WiFi.

I would also suggest you check...

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
been working with Dell support...Apparently, the battery saver option is causing trouble. With the option set as "power saving", internet pages load slowly, and I have a crackling noise in the speakers with online music (Youtube)
When power option is on "balanced", it works just fine
Is there a way to optimize the battery better than that without degrading the wifi connection that much????
Thanks

It shouldn't degrade it like that. Sounds like a flaw in their setup to me.

You can change the options for individual area/items... when you go into "Control Panel" then "Power Options", you should see a "Change Plan Settings" link next to each plan type. When you click on that (for the plan you are using), the next screen will have a "Change Advanced Power Settings" link. Click that and it will bring up a list of all items you can adjust for that setup. Actually, you should be able to change all "Plan Settings" from this screen (there should be a drop down with the "Plan Settings" at the top of this window.

From here you can change other things to not drain your power while not effecting the WiFi.

I would also suggest you check what programs are running on the computer. The more running, the faster the battery drains. And some programs drain it way faster. I have heard (as I don't use it myself) that chrome tends to drain things faster. You could try a different browser and see if that helps as well.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.