New gaming Headset

thebiz87

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
I'm looking to buy a new gaming headset. I've been using a Icemat Audio headset for like the last 11 years. They have held up pretty good other than the volume dial when you move it or barely touch it one of the speakers cuts out or both make a distorted sound.

Anyways I think its time to buy a new one. Don't really have a budget but i don't wanna spend a fortune on them. I play all games but mostly like to use the headset for fps like cs go. I want something that is comfortable and is good for directional sound.

All advice is appreciated thanks.

Solution

Heard pretty horrible things about (music, movie, and game) sound quality on all those types... Trust me, get good headphones like the HD 518/558 and you'll be much happier
For about $75 you can get the Sennheiser HD 518, which should be more comfortable than anything you've had so far, and far better audio quality. If you need to go lower, the HD 419 is less than $35

If you need a microphone attached, the HD 429s

thebiz87

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
I'm willing to spend more money than that if there is more options that are better. If not maybe ill try them. Also how good are mics that are attached to the headset never used one before.

thebiz87

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
I've been searching around for the "best" headsets to see whats out there and what everyone's opinions are. But not one place has the same ones as the top I figured at least a few would show up in everyone's reviews.

I looked at some more of the Sennheiser's i found this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106685

I was wondering how surround sound effects fps games if its better than regular stereo since the ones above are not surround sound.
Like i said above I don't really have a budget but something around or under $200 would be best.
Thanks again.

Headset mics are fine for normal use, if you need a headset with mic, consider the 429s

As for surround, you have two ears and plug them up with headsets. You actually cannot get better directional audio than stereo for headsets, even if companies claim "7.1". Just use headphone virtualization (many games feature that in headphone mode anyway) and you'll have a great experience without suffering from horrible sound quality outside games.

thebiz87

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
I'm looking to spend a little more on something to hopefully get a overall decent quality. I was looking at the tomsguide and the number one overall is the SteelSeries Siberia Elite Pris. was wondering if anyone has these and could tell me a little about them. They have a white pair on amazon for $150.

Heard pretty horrible things about (music, movie, and game) sound quality on all those types... Trust me, get good headphones like the HD 518/558 and you'll be much happier

Solution

thebiz87

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
Ok I'm thinking about getting the hd 558 only thing I've read is the bass isnt the best on them do they make another version that is a little better in quality or are those about as good as it gets?
Sorry to keep asking more but i like to make sure i buy quality stuff.

For anyone else looking to get new headphones/headsets from all i read its better to find a good headphone instead of looking for gaming headsets

Thanks again.

Most complaints about bass not being good are either from people that like ridiculously overpowered (but ugly) bass from things like beats, or they are super audiophiles that don't represent normal people. They will still sound far better than any "gaming" headset from companies that don't specialize in audio.

If you need a microphone, there's a few other options, including the 518 and 429s.

thebiz87

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
Looks like the hd 558's will be the ones they are only $100 on amazon so thats cool. Probable try that modmic with it seems like its pretty good. Before i buy do they make closed ones similar to the hd558 just curious.