New gaming laptop (Alienware)

Prawnstar699

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016
Hi, I have been planning to buy a new gaming laptop, was looking at Alienware 15 R2 and 17 r3. They both have similar specs... Gtx980m, 16gb ram, 4gb DDR5 Graphics, 1TB HDD.
The benefits of 15" - 256gb ssd inbuilt
The benefits of 17" - bigger screen, better display (300nits compared to 220nits, they say 15" is bad) so I'm leaning more towards the 17" but can I add a ssd inside it at a later stage?
The 17" is Around Rs. 157,000
The 15" is around Rs. 153,000

I know many of u are gonna tell me to build my own desktop but I want something portable to take anywhere.
I also looked at Msi, Asus and other gaming laptops but they are no where close to the specs of Alienware. If you do have any suggestions for a better laptop at the same price which is available in India please do suggest. Thanks!

Prawnstar699

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016

But would u recommended Alienware, I saw many hardware failures online hope it's just for a few limited products, and if I end up buying one I hope I will get the support... As of the ssd is there space in the 17" internally to add one later? Thanks!

Prawnstar699

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016

Yes flipkart, but i won't be buying it from there i will check local stores... i checked asus website in India and its not updated so i don't think they have the ROG gaming series in India just yet and Msi specs are not as good as Alienware for that price tag.

Prawnstar699

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016

Thank you so much for your help!

Sanketagarwal

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
I bought one the day you posted this question

It's a hell spawn. Don't make the same mistake I did.
Firstly, it's not available in 99% re-sellers in India yet. You have to get it shipped from Compuindia.

I was also hoping that the problems would be on a few limited products. Sadly, they are not.

My laptop won't boot.
The Wireless keeps crashing
The troubleshoot detected a problem with VGA Fan hardware
and the computer just averagely failed to be anything survivable.

And I bought the 1,86,000 model, so that's that.

Sanketagarwal

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

Already tried. Alienware India not helping with this. It's horrible this side of the world.

Prawnstar699

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016
What do u mean they can't help you? What did they say? Are they not gonna repair/replace it?
And I already did the ground work.. Something so expensive I'm gonna buy from a dell exclusive store, they have to specially order the laptop for me.
As for the wireless I read in many places that it happens and there's a very easy fix.

Please let me know the status of your laptop and their customer support in India

And where exactly are u from? I'm from Mumbai and they have dell service centres here, instead of shipping it back I would rather go and visit them and see what they say

Sanketagarwal

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

They are not ready to replace it yet. They offer to repair it but I don't want to go on with a machine that's giving me problems from day one. I got it from Compuindia, it's dells online exclusive store. No help. Alienware support says they only replace laptops in case of motherboard failures in the first month.

I did a factory reset. Trying to install the necessary drivers before things go south. Will keep you updated.

Prawnstar699

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016

hopefully its all just a driver problem, hope its fixed!
As for the replacement i think they cannot just replace it instantly, they have to repair it, and if the problem still persists even after 3 repairs i think they have to replace it, keep us informed!
I did see Compuindia.com and they didn't have the exact model in stock so i emailed them but no reply for days so i lost hope in them, yes just because they didn't reply! Customer support is very important these days so i would rather buy it from an exclusive store.

Prawnstar699

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016
Alienware India just came out with a new 17" laptop with 6700MQ and 8GB 980M which is nice and its around the same price as the 4GB 980M..
but whats the 6700MQ? whats the difference between 6700MQ vs 6700HQ? can someone please help :) thanks!

http://www.compuindia.com/alienware-laptops/alienware-17-anodized-aluminum-laptop-17-3-wled-display-16gb-ram-1tb-hdd-aw177161tb8a-10018.html?