New Gaming Laptop (Brand + Specs Advice Needed)

XilenXIII

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
Hey guys,

I know there's been many questions that are similar to mine, most have been answered, but I just want to have a dedicated answer to my needs.

I've been a gamer for quite some time, and have been using an ASUS laptop for gaming.

I've searched around for laptops that are relatively cheap but have great power, but my limited knowledge of brands, manufacturers, etc., leave me a bit discouraged.

Is there any suggestions for a gaming laptop? I'm mildly interested in a MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, or Razer laptop, but, again, I would like suggestions.

Solution
Gonna simplify this for you

Razer: Slim, Light, decently spec'd, overpriced, and gets hotter than the Sun while gaming

ASUS: Doesn't have as many configurations compared to MSI/Gigabyte, decently priced, rarely has heat issues, heavy as a truck and thick as 2x4

MSI: Most configurations out the listed, slightly higher but due to specs, higher quality keyboard, depending on which series; thicker than an ASUS and just as heavy, or thin and cooks bacon with heat.

Gigabyte: Sorry never really used them, kinda flew under radar for most people as well, probably.

If you got money to burn and want the best spec'd laptop, go with the MSI, they have more laptops with that GTX 900M series video cards atm, otherwise if you're looking for the...

Warukyure

Estimable
Gonna simplify this for you

Razer: Slim, Light, decently spec'd, overpriced, and gets hotter than the Sun while gaming

ASUS: Doesn't have as many configurations compared to MSI/Gigabyte, decently priced, rarely has heat issues, heavy as a truck and thick as 2x4

MSI: Most configurations out the listed, slightly higher but due to specs, higher quality keyboard, depending on which series; thicker than an ASUS and just as heavy, or thin and cooks bacon with heat.

Gigabyte: Sorry never really used them, kinda flew under radar for most people as well, probably.

If you got money to burn and want the best spec'd laptop, go with the MSI, they have more laptops with that GTX 900M series video cards atm, otherwise if you're looking for the equilibrium, ASUS. I myself have an ASUS (the older G74SX), never gets loud, never gets hot, that angled keyboard is actually kinda nice.

Oh and avoid Razer and Alienware like its the plague, Ebola, ISIS, Dick Cheney, etc. They are WAY overpriced for their specs. (Comparing last year's ASUS G750 and the Razer Blade Pro 2013, the ASUS was around $1700 vs the $2400 of the Razer Blade Pro, when evenly spec'd.)

Also, that whacky display/touchpad? get outta here Razer.

Solution

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
^^ I agree Razer gets hot and its price/performance isn't as good as the Asus, but its touchpad is FANTASTIC. The only computer i've ever seen that can compete with their touchpad is Apple, and what's wrong with their touchscreen. It's a high quality 3k ips 60hz screen and if you don't like touch don't use it (unless you mean the 2013 one which isn't touch). But I have to admit it also gets pretty hot so unless portability and looks is important to you, you shouldn't buy one. I only bought it cause I believe laptops shouldn't be as large as the Asus gaming ones (I still like them though) and the Razer was used so it was a good deal.

XilenXIII

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks for the quick responses! Much appreciated~

But okay, out of the ones I mentioned, Warukyure recommends the MSI Brand for Spec > Price ; the ASUS Brand for Price > Spec.

Is there any other brand/specific laptop that I should take a look into or avoid like Dick Cheney? (I laughed at that.)

You also mentioned MSI can cook food when gaming, I kinda don't want to set my wooden desk on fire, or give myself a burn, or melt through my metal desk. (Of course, I might be taking the heat problem to the extreme, but I expect the worst.)

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

I thought you might be talking about those but I consider razer Pro's completely irrelevant, so in that case yes, you are right. Why they make the 14" more powerful than the 17" is beyond me

Warukyure

Estimable
Sager from what I hear are kinda good specs wise mostly because you customize your specs.

It does work out to be a bit more or could be a bit less if you upgrade somethings and sacrifice others.

Also, they are more of a mobile desktop rather than a laptop. Oh and dont expect more than 3 hours battery life. Also they look ugly.