New Gaming Laptop freezing, Cannot find solution

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pflugyfresh

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Okay, just bought a new Laptop. A Sager NP6852 Notebook. I installed the OS and I believe i have downloaded all the latest drivers. It freezes only when playing games, although i can run my games with ease and great quality. When the computer freezes all audio cuts out and I have to force restart my laptop. Other than freezing, there is no lag or issues running the game itself. Freezing occurs anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours of playing games, this is very frustrating. Things I have tried so far: completely uninstalling NVIDIA programs/drivers and reinstalling, updating intel drivers, updating windows, reduce disk usage (it was high), repair the c:// drive.
Specs:
7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor
15.6" Full HD IPS Matte Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
8GB DDR4 at 2400MHz
1TB 5400rpm SATA3 HDD

zpjet791

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017

How did you hear about the updated BIOS, by the way? I've received no e-mails from Sager since I returned my machine.

I ordered the machine around the 23rd of January and it was on backorder until the 31st or so, so not sure if it was part of the batch you're referring to. Somehow I doubt my machine was the one that they discovered the problem on, because I only just sent it back on Feb. 28th.

The clicking noise you describe is interesting. Do you have an HDD? The model I ordered had two SSDs in it, so I heard no noise when it froze (other than a buzz from the speakers if there was sound playing). But, when it did freeze the "tone" of the CPU fan changed a bit.

Dillon_16

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

I just got the updated BIOS from them in a email, so they have a fix. Sorry you had to return yours man

pflugyfresh

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

By any chance are you able to send me the file for the bios update?

efervescent

Prominent
May 12, 2017

Hi everyone,
I have a novatech N870HK1 CLEVO chassis,with the same problem,i don..t know what to do,i bought this laptop second hand, i also repaste the processor with gelid and the temp ware ok few hours and after that jumps until 95-97 celsius,my laptop is still freezing randomly,did you solved with the updated bios?

Last edited by a moderator:

efervescent

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Hi again,
I found an solution for my problem thanks to eluktronics,because they posted an upgraded bios on their support page and i flash it with that bios and now is not freezing anymore,the temperatures are still high ocassionally but it is ok now,many many thanks to eluktronics the best vendor for clevo and shame to the others that doesn;t offer free bios update for their products,not even clevo!!!

dior_kool_20

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018

Can you give me a link please?

I have the same issue.

I want a bios update.

Thanks

N870hk1 is the model of the laptop.

Mar 28, 2018
Hi all! So,I was having the same problem with the N870HK1 from Novatech (random freezes in games/youtube/google/etc) My problem solver was: after i installed all the drivers from https://forum.novatech.co.uk/t/laptop-drivers-manuals/148 I went to power plan and changed the following for the active plan : Turn off HDD after NEVER ; Wireless adaptor settings Max performance ; PCI Express-Link state power management OFF ; Then I went to device manager-network adapters and changed all the intel ones with the basic microsoft adaptor. Feel free to ask me further questions if you want, hope it works! Sorry if i had grammar problems, I'm not a native english speaker.