New gaming laptop video and touchpad issues

Tony 321

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015
Hi, A few days ago I received an Asus Rog G751JY gaming laptop from Amazon. It has a 980m - 16gb ram - 17inch 1080p G-sync monitor.

My issues are seeing colorful, thin, horizontal video lines across the screen during the computer's black 'wake-up' screen. The lines appear in a band and stretch across the entire screen horizontally, and are about an inch to 3 inches thick vertically, which take up about 1/8 to 1/4 of the screen, and last about a half-second... I've had no issues with the screen during actual use. No issues during surfing, gaming, ect... I've seen this twice now out of about 10 wake-ups.

Another (minor) issue is that the touchpad lags about a quarter second behind my inputs, and also has a sort of deceleration to it. For example, when I stop moving my finger, the mouse decelerates to a stop 'after' I've already stopped moving my finger... It feels floaty. External mice are responsive and there is no deceleration. I've researched this, and reinstalled the driver, and cannot find a fix.

Tony 321

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015

Thank you, I've done no OC'ing, or any tinkering / tampering of any sort... Is there anything I should try / test? Or do you recommend I just return it?

P.S. Something I've noticed is that while the laptop is warmed-up there are no video lines during wake-up, or boot. It only seems to happen when it's cold.

Thanks again

Tony 321

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015
Thanks very much for your help guys. I called Asus tech support, and they had me update drivers. So far so good. Four boots - no lines. Still cannot get rid of the trackpad delay/lag.