New Headphones

Ma3s7ro

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Hi guys

I've build my self a new gaming rig, and although i enjoyed my XFX gaming set it is now broken and i also have a Trust 751B 5.1 set. The 5.1 set annoys me, since it has loads of static and the sound isn't that great. So I'm trying to buy my self some new headphones mainly for gaming. I'm no audiophile as you see by the set i owned (bear in mind i did like my XFX gaming set soud, not the best, but was good for me). So i came down to a couple of headphones that go from 30 to 60 euros (i think its about 45 to 90 dollars). Have 3 doubts

1st - should i get a Headset with microphone in it or should i get headset and separated mic? I've had one table mic about 6 years ago and it sucked, people didn't listen me very well, the sound wasn't good etc. Trying to speak in TS with it was awfull. Yes it was a very cheap mic (3 or 4 €).

2nd - The price difference in some models make me wonder if there's a noticeable difference between them.

3rd - Are wireless headphones good? Do they give good 3d mapping in games?

This are the models i've been "flirting" (again, remember its for gaming mostly)

No Mic:

Sennheiser:

HD 205 - 36€
HD 415 - 41€

Philips:

infrared wireless SHC 2000/00 - 32€ (promotion, usually 40€)
SHP8500 - 38.50€
SBCHC 8440 - 43€

AGK:

K430SLV - 49€

Sony:

MDR-RF840RK

With Mic:

Creative:

Fatal1ty HS-800 - 38€

Plantronics

Gamecom 377 - 37€
Gamecom 777 - 69€ (bit over the edge on the price, but just curious)

Now the fatal1ty seems nice, tough the plantronics look sturdier.

As for the no mic options, the philips look very nice, as well as the HD 415. The AGK i really don't know them, but since i saw a review online saying that they usually do very nice headphones, they're also included.

Since i'll have a supremeFX X-fi soundcard (Asus onboard Rampage II Gene) i want to take the most of it, especially in games. As i said before i'm looking for some cans that can give me good sound and good 3d maping. Please don't rampage this post talking about 200 and 400$ headphones, for it is pointless, i'll never drop that kind of money into a headset.

I'm leaning towards 3 of them

Creative, Philips cordless, and HD415

What worries me is if with a pair of non microphoned cans + a cheap (up to 10€) microphone will I get a good conversation on programs like TS or people will tend to ear me poorly and i'll have to lean towards the mic everytime?

Thanks in advance

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
1st - should i get a Headset with microphone in it or should i get headset and separated mic? I've had one table mic about 6 years ago and it sucked, people didn't listen me very well, the sound wasn't good etc. Trying to speak in TS with it was awfull. Yes it was a very cheap mic (3 or 4 €).

I like detachable ones, although its not a big deal overall for me.

2nd - The price difference in some models make me wonder if there's a noticeable difference between them.

For some, yes. Some excel at side channel processing, some have great bass, and some off great quality. Its really hard to compare headsets you've never personally tried.

3rd - Are wireless headphones good? Do they give good 3d mapping in games?

Funny story: I was using my trusty Tritton AX Pro's, and the massive control unit knocked out one of the sound channels. I went to my old generic wireless Sony headsets (MDR-3000 I believe). God, the best side channel processing I have ever heard in a headset, bar none. Granted, not for gaming (lacks mic, and quality below average), but the side channel processing was great. [Note, this was using DDL to encode to 5.1; DTS has somewhat more of a muted response].

Wireless headsets do have background noise, but once music is going, its hardly noticable. Just be aware, they slaughter the 2.4Ghz range, so don't try to use these with many wireless devices. Also, some wireless headsets do not play nice with Plazma TVs...Still, you have much less of a worry of loosing a sound channel due to wire fraying...

First and formost, you need to decide if 5.1 (or heaven forbid, one of the two 7.1 headsets) is a requirement or not. There are plenty of excellent 2.0 headsets (or so I've been told), but I firmly believe true 5.1 processing makes a massive difference.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
gaming??? hmmm if u really do need a mic , then i guess u might as well go for the game haedphones

but i usually like the accuracy even in games, therefore i proabbly go for sennheisers but not the one in te list u gave.