New headset to buy with $250-300 budget

skydogg5555

Estimable
Nov 28, 2014
Decided to return my Sennheiser G4ME One headset, after the headphone quality was pretty shit in my opinion, although the mic was pretty good, I just couldn't handle the bass being the main source of "quality" on the headset. I am really frustrated with what I want to buy, just want a balance with good mic quality, and headphone/speaker quality.....without spending $500 or more.

I know I could get a mic/headphone setup, but it's just a hassle because i'm not a streamer or youtuber. It would be annoying. I've looked at those modmic things, and I have no experience with them, so I wouldn't know how to do it.

Edit: I was looking at buying an amp when I originally bought the G4ME One, but I read somewhere that it is only for headphones and not headphone/mic headsets, maybe that is totally wrong, but I don't know.

Solution
honestly your choices in the $300 budget are going to be things like the pc363d and mmx300 both of which are similar. good sound and mic quality but very light bass and at least $50-80 overpriced since they are based on headphone designs with a mic strapped on.

the modmic is very popular in the role of converting headphones to a headset. basically a little magnet attaches to your headphones via adhesive (removeable too) and the modmic clips onto this. you'll need to run the mic cable down along your headphone cable but you can always sleeve it if thats an issue. essentially it adds a bendable, adjustable, removeable mic to any pair of headphones and it has rather good quality as well.

you're definitely going to get better sound out of...
honestly your choices in the $300 budget are going to be things like the pc363d and mmx300 both of which are similar. good sound and mic quality but very light bass and at least $50-80 overpriced since they are based on headphone designs with a mic strapped on.

the modmic is very popular in the role of converting headphones to a headset. basically a little magnet attaches to your headphones via adhesive (removeable too) and the modmic clips onto this. you'll need to run the mic cable down along your headphone cable but you can always sleeve it if thats an issue. essentially it adds a bendable, adjustable, removeable mic to any pair of headphones and it has rather good quality as well.

you're definitely going to get better sound out of headphones than gaming headsets i would say though you need to let us know what kind of sound profile you enjoy and if you already have a soundcard.

do you want a neutral sound? v-shaped fun profile (more treble and bass than mids), a treble+mid profile with low bass (competitive gamers like this) or a bassy profile?

do you want open headphones with a large soundstage (best for gaming) or do you need closed headphones with better isolation (not as good for gaming but will work)

Solution

skydogg5555

Estimable
Nov 28, 2014

I have the Logitech G930 headset right now, with no software installed to control the audio quality, and honestly, It seems to be really fine. I am not certain if it is stereo or what, but the sound seems to be okay.

With the G4ME One while using "Realtek HD audio manager" software that came with my motherboard, it just feels uncomfortable on any preset settings I tried, and couldn't figure out any good settings that seemed fine for me. On all of the settings, I could hear this weird addition to the sounds of voices in particular, like distinct hollowness, which was enough to make me return them.
I thought the mic quality was great though, and was debating on keeping them just for that reason, but the audio was too bad imo to keep. I usually like to listen to songs while playing mostly moba games, or sometimes fps or platformers, and like the audio to make me feel immersed into the gameplay. Maybe i've just gotten too used to the G930's audio and don't know what "good" quality sounds like. I am really wanting to try the modmic thing, but have ZERO clue what to buy or where to start.

I really just want a good balance with mic quality and sound in a gaming headset with mic and headphones all in one, but if that isn't a choice I guess I could try some decent headphones and a standalone microphone, like a professional budget one or whatever. I would have done that already, but I just feel that It would be weird using a physical standalone microphone.

Also, I really like closed back headphones for the better ambient noise reduction from outside sources and never understood how closed and open affects headphone quality. Oh and I don't currently have a sound card, or an amp, but am open to buying one for the headphones. I honestly am just looking for someone to literally pick what they think would be best in my situation. I hate all the decisions and questions that are involved when buying new things, so many choices, I would just love for someone to pick something they consider fine and I would buy it lol.

here is an easy way to think about open vs closed headphones (basically what "large soundstage" vs "small soundstage" sounds like).

think about listening to a rock band in a large park. if you walk around you can easily tell the exact location the band is at and sound has an airy feel to it. you can also pick out every little detail. overall bass response is there but considerably less due to the open air atmosphere. this would be large soundstage and open cans.

think about listening to a rock band in the front row in a bar. you can still tell direction but it is more forward and in your face than distant and airy. sound is more direct. there is substantially more bass presence though some of the subtle details may not be as crystal clear. this is more akin to closed cans with a small soundstage.

honestly there is not much to say about the modmic.... you just attach it and plug it in like a regular 3.5mm microphone. its about as easy to use as you could get. once it is attached it will seem like you have any other normal pc headset. basically this http://www.vanillatf2.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/EA7A2729.jpg

if you wanted a bit of that "soundstage" but wanted "isolation" which normally do not go hand in hand you might want to think about the dt770pro. for being closed headphones they do have a fairly decent soundstage, are comfortable and have pretty good sound quality with a slight warm edge to them. they are a V-shaped sound profile though so they may sound mid-light but this is what is considered to be the most "fun" sound EQ. the 770s are a little bassy (the 80 ohm ver is the most bassy, the 250ohm model is the clearest). i'd recommend the 770-250 with a decent amp (schiit magni is ideal but you could get something cheaper and just not push the cans to their most potential).

now, if you were looking for something NEUTRAL sounding (flat eq response) the dt880 can do that, same with the hd598. however both are open cans so that means no sound isolation and not so much bass response.

perhaps you want to better describe the g930 sound profile. does it sound flat? do mids seem recessed?

skydogg5555

Estimable
Nov 28, 2014

I don't know how to explain how the g930 sounds, i just sounds even, idk how to explain, it's probably flat, but it doesn't sound like the sennheiser did when using no bass setting, it just sounds good.

only thing about the ad500x/700x/900x is that they have almost zero low bass response. some mid-bass yes, sub-bass and low end bass no.

this is why most people consider them bass-less and highly focused on just treble and mids. this gives an advantage in gaming (hearing footsteps easier) but makes them not quite as thrilling as other sets when it comes to some types of music and movies.

its a personal choice as to whether you like that sort of sound signature or not. i just thought i would explain a little in detail what is often noted about the 900x (and similar series).