New iPad Already Jailbroken in Three Ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

few years ago when I own my first mac. the sale man fool me as mac is unhackable and virus free compare it to pc. I was so dame stupid to believe that. until now I see the truth. apple is weak in security and loads of flow that you could hack it as easy as you could jailbreak a iphone by just visiting a website. by having mac as my first pc is the most regret things happening in my life

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Little news here. They used the same hack that was used to jailbreak the the iPad 2.[/citation]
If you read the article you would have seen that in the first paragraph.

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Good good, now what about the new AppleTV? If they crack that one (so we can put something decent on it, like XBMC) then I can get myself a nice Media Center/streaming client combo.

G

@window7user2012 The reason is that no was buying Macs so no one was hacking, or creating viruses for them. Why would you when everyone was running Windows?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]window7user2012[/nom]few years ago when I own my first mac. the sale man fool me as mac is unhackable and virus free compare it to pc. I was so dame stupid to believe that. until now I see the truth. apple is weak in security and loads of flow that you could hack it as easy as you could jailbreak a iphone by just visiting a website. by having mac as my first pc is the most regret things happening in my life[/citation]
Have you actually encountered any malware on your Mac?
It's not invulnerable, but so far there has been very little malware for Mac OS X over the years. Even simple scare-ware like Mac Defender gets big media attention.

It's difficult to argue about security if there are no real attacks.

G

Im pretty sure if there was 500 million Mac Desktops and only a couple of million Windows Desktops the arguement would have been reversed. Why should people bother with virusses or Malware for Mac's if they have way more numbers to target on Windows based desktops?

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Have you actually encountered any malware on your Mac?It's not invulnerable, but so far there has been very little malware for Mac OS X over the years. Even simple scare-ware like Mac Defender gets big media attention.It's difficult to argue about security if there are no real attacks.[/citation]
My folks live in a small town where they don't lock the house when they leave for the entire day at work. I live in a city where I lock my doors when I walk down the street and back.
If my parents house is broken into less, does that mean they are more secure? No, it just means they aren't targeted. All it takes is one guy to say "I want it all", and they will have it EASILY, at least they have to work to get into my house.

But back to the article - Glad to see jailbreaking still a priority among the community. The iDevices are actually really good hardware, once they are "released" to their full potential and broken free from Apple's closed walls.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Have you actually encountered any malware on your Mac?It's not invulnerable, but so far there has been very little malware for Mac OS X over the years. Even simple scare-ware like Mac Defender gets big media attention.It's difficult to argue about security if there are no real attacks.[/citation]

This is not due to their "invulnerable" security model, but more to their single-digit-midget market share.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

... but if you read some other articles on this subject, you will see that the way memory space and application boundaries are addressed, Mac is vastly inferior to Windows in the way these things are handled.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mrpijey[/nom]Good good, now what about the new AppleTV? If they crack that one (so we can put something decent on it, like XBMC) then I can get myself a nice Media Center/streaming client combo.[/citation]
That's the only reason I would buy one too, XBMC FTW!!!

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Apple's current market share is 12.9%. They are in third place behind HP and Dell. That is not as small as you guys are making it out to be. There are currently 0 self propagating viruses for OSX and very few viruses in general. Some of which are your basic macro viruses. 12.9% market share does represent a reasonable target if the OS is "wide open" as you guys like to say.

The truth is that OSX is more vulnerable than Windows under certain conditions and less vulnerable than Windows in others. OSX has issues with their authentication mechanisms for network enabled applications. BAD STUFF but can be in a large part remedied with the use of a firewall to control what ip can access what services or turning on stealth mode which is built into the OS.

Windows has more problems with Application layer vulnerabilities. They have done a good job shoring up allot of the network related vulnerabilities. It used to be easy to find a network services and do a buffer overflow attack to gain access via a system account, then create a real user from the command line with the appropriate (or inappropriate) privileges. Now it is harder to do. Now you are seeing more localized exploits in Windows to compromise the system and then open it up from there. This two can be remedied through the use of the appropriate security measures.

Apple's current market share is 12.9%. They are in third place behind HP and Dell. That is not as small as you guys are making it out to be. There are currently 0 self-propagating viruses for OSX and very few viruses in general. Some of which are your basic macro viruses. 12.9% market share does represent a reasonable target if the OS is "wide open" as you guys like to say.

The truth is that OSX is more vulnerable than Windows under certain conditions and less vulnerable than Windows in others. OSX has issues with their authentication mechanisms for network enabled applications. BAD STUFF but can be in a large part remedied with the use of a firewall to control what ip can access what services or turning on stealth mode which is built into the OS.

Windows has more problems with Application layer vulnerabilities. They have done a good job shoring up allot of the network related vulnerabilities. It used to be easy to find a network services and do a buffer overflow attack to gain access via a system account, then create a real user from the command line with the appropriate (or inappropriate) privileges. Now it is harder to do. Now you are seeing more localized exploits in Windows to compromise the system and then open it up from there. Things like browser vulnerabilities, file format vulnerabilities, malware, keyloggers, email viruses, etc…. They are more inside-out in nature. This two can be remedied through the use of the appropriate security applications as well.

Bottom line is that most hackers, script kiddies, and pentesters tend to look for low hanging fruit. They do their reconnaissance, identify a target, use an exploit, gain access, dump tools, escalate privileges, and look for ways to get deeper or just misuse the resources of the comprised machine. This is 90% of the guys out there. They will move onto an easier target if they have to spend a ton of time on anything. The elite 10% rarely actively find and write exploits on the fly during an attack. The reason why is because of SEIM solutions and Heuristic/Signature based IPS/IDS solutions out there will detect abnormal behavior and alert to it. A proper SEIM solution especially. They will normally pre-develop exploits for use in low and slow type of attacks because IPS/IDS's won't detect that allot of times. SEIM's can but only one or two vendors are good at it. Typically these systems are not workstations on a home network. They are resources on a target that have some value. Workstations tend to get attacked with more localized typed of attacks. Things like browser expoits

Windows and Linux servers are used most of the time on the Web and vary in their configuration. Allot of companies don’t actually harden their servers. Few have robust compensating controls to adequately protect them. Allot of times they will not invest in a robust security infrastructure until they have an incident which is sad but those controls are expensive so they prioritize other projects ahead of security.

With user PC’s however it is a little different. Most people have a network based firewall and unfortunately allot of these devices are just ACL’s and actually don’t do stateful inspection or deep packet inspection. Where it gets nasty is these so called DMZ modes or game modes on personal firewalls. Basically just leaves the system wide open to all kinds of network based attacks. MS has done a good job shoring up issues with that in a large part due to the amount of activity there. Since OSX is not much of a gaming OS and most people are not hosting network services from OSX it is not as much of a problem. Enable your firewalls guys, use best practices for security on either OS and don’t install everything damn thing you see on the web and you will be fine.

The reality is that as of today, most of the attacks are designed for Windows machines as they are indeed low hanging fruit with a variety of versions still in use in a variety of configurations some with and some without the appropriate security measures. As such, most of the attacks we hear about are the more “localized” attacks I spoke of before because Microsoft has shored up allot of the network based stuff along with almost everyone having a network based firewall at home. OSX is not as susceptible to application based attacks but is to network based attacks against network services. It is essentially the reverse of Windows. Is it impossible to attack either one on their stronger sides, by all means no. They just are less or more susceptible depending on the attack vector.

There are some area Windows is stronger in and some that OSX is stronger in. There are products for each that shore up the known vulnerabilities for the most part but being that OSX has historically been less of a target and security applications are already developed to secure it means that you will be in good shape if you choose that direction. Windows 7 is fantastic in comparison to other Windows platforms but overall is really about even to OSX. It does however have many more applications available to secure it but that is because of the activity out there against the platform.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]... but if you read some other articles on this subject, you will see that the way memory space and application boundaries are addressed, Mac is vastly inferior to Windows in the way these things are handled.[/citation]

Wow you are smoking some strong stuff and have no sw tech knowledge. If you did you would have a clue that Windows has security problems becasue there is no seperation of user and kernel space. Mac OS is totally different and has many levels of security. People just as st*p*d as you also whine on about how no one attacks Macs becase "they are such a small market space". So where are the hackers who want to crown themselves? There are enough Apple bashers on Tom's that you would think one of them would develop a virus because its so easy and they could then put Apple in its place..... But the problem is that they are st*p*d like you and aside from assembling plug in hardware (about as much skill as doing a painting with the numbers for which color) don't even know what code is.....

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Apple's current market share is 12.9%. They are in third place behind HP and Dell. That is not as small as you guys are making it out to be. There are currently 0 self propagating viruses for OSX and very few viruses in general. Some of which are your basic macro viruses. 12.9% market share does represent a reasonable target if the OS is "wide open" as you guys like to say. The truth is that OSX is more vulnerable than Windows under certain conditions and less vulnerable than Windows in others. OSX has issues with their authentication mechanisms for network enabled applications. BAD STUFF but can be in a large part remedied with the use of a firewall to control what ip can access what services or turning on stealth mode which is built into the OS.Windows has more problems with Application layer vulnerabilities. They have done a good job shoring up allot of the network related vulnerabilities. It used to be easy to find a network services and do a buffer overflow attack to gain access via a system account, then create a real user from the command line with the appropriate (or inappropriate) privileges. Now it is harder to do. Now you are seeing more localized exploits in Windows to compromise the system and then open it up from there. This two can be remedied through the use of the appropriate security measures.Apple's current market share is 12.9%. They are in third place behind HP and Dell. That is not as small as you guys are making it out to be. There are currently 0 self-propagating viruses for OSX and very few viruses in general. Some of which are your basic macro viruses. 12.9% market share does represent a reasonable target if the OS is "wide open" as you guys like to say. The truth is that OSX is more vulnerable than Windows under certain conditions and less vulnerable than Windows in others. OSX has issues with their authentication mechanisms for network enabled applications. BAD STUFF but can be in a large part remedied with the use of a firewall to control what ip can access what services or turning on stealth mode which is built into the OS.Windows has more problems with Application layer vulnerabilities. They have done a good job shoring up allot of the network related vulnerabilities. It used to be easy to find a network services and do a buffer overflow attack to gain access via a system account, then create a real user from the command line with the appropriate (or inappropriate) privileges. Now it is harder to do. Now you are seeing more localized exploits in Windows to compromise the system and then open it up from there. Things like browser vulnerabilities, file format vulnerabilities, malware, keyloggers, email viruses, etc…. They are more inside-out in nature. This two can be remedied through the use of the appropriate security applications as well. Bottom line is that most hackers, script kiddies, and pentesters tend to look for low hanging fruit. They do their reconnaissance, identify a target, use an exploit, gain access, dump tools, escalate privileges, and look for ways to get deeper or just misuse the resources of the comprised machine. This is 90% of the guys out there. They will move onto an easier target if they have to spend a ton of time on anything. The elite 10% rarely actively find and write exploits on the fly during an attack. The reason why is because of SEIM solutions and Heuristic/Signature based IPS/IDS solutions out there will detect abnormal behavior and alert to it. A proper SEIM solution especially. They will normally pre-develop exploits for use in low and slow type of attacks because IPS/IDS's won't detect that allot of times. SEIM's can but only one or two vendors are good at it. Typically these systems are not workstations on a home network. They are resources on a target that have some value. Workstations tend to get attacked with more localized typed of attacks. Things like browser expoitsWindows and Linux servers are used most of the time on the Web and vary in their configuration. Allot of companies don’t actually harden their servers. Few have robust compensating controls to adequately protect them. Allot of times they will not invest in a robust security infrastructure until they have an incident which is sad but those controls are expensive so they prioritize other projects ahead of security.With user PC’s however it is a little different. Most people have a network based firewall and unfortunately allot of these devices are just ACL’s and actually don’t do stateful inspection or deep packet inspection. Where it gets nasty is these so called DMZ modes or game modes on personal firewalls. Basically just leaves the system wide open to all kinds of network based attacks. MS has done a good job shoring up issues with that in a large part due to the amount of activity there. Since OSX is not much of a gaming OS and most people are not hosting network services from OSX it is not as much of a problem. Enable your firewalls guys, use best practices for security on either OS and don’t install everything damn thing you see on the web and you will be fine. The reality is that as of today, most of the attacks are designed for Windows machines as they are indeed low hanging fruit with a variety of versions still in use in a variety of configurations some with and some without the appropriate security measures. As such, most of the attacks we hear about are the more “localized” attacks I spoke of before because Microsoft has shored up allot of the network based stuff along with almost everyone having a network based firewall at home. OSX is not as susceptible to application based attacks but is to network based attacks against network services. It is essentially the reverse of Windows. Is it impossible to attack either one on their stronger sides, by all means no. They just are less or more susceptible depending on the attack vector. There are some area Windows is stronger in and some that OSX is stronger in. There are products for each that shore up the known vulnerabilities for the most part but being that OSX has historically been less of a target and security applications are already developed to secure it means that you will be in good shape if you choose that direction. Windows 7 is fantastic in comparison to other Windows platforms but overall is really about even to OSX. It does however have many more applications available to secure it but that is because of the activity out there against the platform.[/citation]
You're stating market shares that only include OEM sellers, all those that assembled their own computer and bought a license aren't included. The real Mac OS market share is around 8% while windows has almost 90%.

Status
Not open for further replies.