New iPhone OS 4.0 Beta Reveals File Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Wow!!

Oh wait ... I can already do that on my phone. I can even connect to Windows file shares over WiFi and my PC can connect to my phone over WiFi via SMB.

Hmm...

Dawgsoverrebs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
u would think they would have shown this stuff back on the release day so that people wouldn't have stayed mad about killing apps process and file sharing but no. Im still not at all looking forward to it since im on adroid which had all that stuff before.

jgalecio

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"Well I'm glad apple finaly added everything the iPhone should have launched with."

Careful this is new technology Apple has made and they own the IP to it. They may start banning/suing people if you start saying these features were already present many years ago!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
that is not file sharing... it still requires the device to be drip fed from a PC and as long as that is the case, it will never be a proper computing platform, fine for the phone, not quite acceptable for the ipad.

also, this was reviled with the first ipad beta. I was thinking the more exciting aspect of the feature being proper document support. meaning you can actually browse files like you do on PC (click on the file and it opens with the appropriate app ect) is this not the case?

urlsen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
"You plug your iPhone into iTunes, head on over to the Apps page and scroll down"
Ye why not use itunes its soooo greeeat..... :(
sound good.....but is it ?

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]How is that file sharing? :S Sounds more like a backup feature.[/citation]

EXACTLY! I thought they would be talking about bluetooth file transfers but noooo. I find it absolutely pathetic that a $700+ "smart" phone does not have that feature. My $100 Sony Ericsson W350 even has that feature.

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
wow..finally orientation lock...all those times laying on your side trying to use it while it keeps changing orientation on you will be a thing of the past after...how many OS versions?! lol

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
this is NOT file sharing... this is backup/snyc...

ignorant to call it that... like saying you are sharing with yourself

G

Smochina

yet funnily enough, you could always shoehorn your own app onto the android device without going through the hassle of asking apple nicely if your allowed to use the app on their device, the beauty of an open system is that you dont need an app store to gets apps..... soon apple will dictate the exact terms and condition of use for the devices least anyone should use one of their devices in a manner that does not conform to apple's ideals..... like make a spoof advert maybe......

G

"SmoChina
Seems everyday idiots have less and less to complain about the Iphone. How bizzare... On the other hand, Windows mobile7 turned out to be the exact closed platform Iphone is. All you're left with is this crap open Android that runs java apps, in 2010... and still has only a few apps for it, none of which doesn't crash the phone. GG!"

Reminds me of a trip to one of our foreign offices, they had a beautifully modern looking open and airy cafeteria, and what looked like multitudes of selection to choose from, upon closer inspection of the desert section there seemed to be a dozen trays of different flavored custards and jelo, i asked my co-worker who had worked here for a while, what flavor is the green color jelo, he looked at me confused and said it's jelo, somewhat confused i said i guess the red color must be strawberry, he looked at me even more confused and said it's jelo, somewhat perplexed i said i guess i just have the chocolate custard then, his reply there is no chocolate custard.... it then dawn upon me that it was not different flavors of custard and jelo i was looking at but just different color jelo and custard..... remind me very much of the apple app store

G

I hope this allows for the user to sync CAMERA photos OFF the device. Yeah you can add pictures via itunes, but you cannot transfer camera photos from the phone to your computer with 'one fell swoop'. You have to make your pc recognize the iphone as "a camera device" which it then scans for pics and you can choose which files to copy. If itunes is the 'be all end all' then they should fix that 'feature'

Status
Not open for further replies.