Question New laptop advice - XPS 15 or other ideas?

Sep 6, 2019
I'm currently looking into replacing my Lenovo Z50-70 (15.6", 1TB HDD, 8GB, i5-4210U). I've previously never spent more than £700 on a laptop, but am considering spending more this time in order to enjoy a significant upgrade in performance, and to have something that will last a while too. One requirement I have is 1TB of memory, to match what I have now. I see that many laptops seem to now have SSD, which sounds like a significant improvement, but seems to be quite expensive with 1TB. From exploring online reviews, I've found myself drawn towards the new Dell XPS 15. A 1TB model with 16GB RAM, i7-9750H is currently around £1800, I've seen it for slightly less when there was a deal on the Dell website. I'm not in a hurry to buy, so would probably wait around for a good deal, Black Friday, etc.

My question is whether this would be spending more than I really need to for what my needs are (mainly internet browsing, streaming, office work, music notation/editing software), and what could be a suitable laptop for less. Or alternatively, if I do decide to push my budget like this, what alternatives might there be to the XPS 15?

Thanks for any thoughts.

1. What is your budget? Was initially thinking around £1000, but would consider up to £1800 to get something really good that would last me a long time. At the same time, no point spending this much if I don't need to.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6" screen

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p or better

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Mainly desktop replacement but nice to be able to transport occasionally.

5. How much battery life do you need? I mostly use on charger, without my current laptop lasts less than an hour so anything will an improvement.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Not a games player.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Mostly internet use, I often have multiple tabs open, streaming, spreadsheets, word processing, music notation and editing software, very occasional and basic video editing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I currently have 1TB HDD so need to match this, although going for 1TB SSD does seem to bump up the price a lot.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least five years, longer if possible. My current laptop has lasted four years, my previous one seven.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? I like to be able to rip CDs, but can't see that many laptops come with a drive any more, so I'll probably look at an external drive for this.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No particular preference.

13. What country do you live in? UK

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Laptop General Discussion 0
D Laptop General Discussion 0
J Laptop General Discussion 2
rorebbel Laptop General Discussion 0
wuws Laptop General Discussion 1
Richieefc Laptop General Discussion 4
fistinair Laptop General Discussion 0
Dudugvili Laptop General Discussion 0
P Laptop General Discussion 0
A Laptop General Discussion 1