New Laptop Buy

cgleckman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I have been researching laptops to buy and I have a few questions.

The two laptops I really have been considering are:

Asus GL551: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMMMMX2

and

Lenovo t440s: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t440s/
- with upgrade screen (1920x1080), battery, and upgrade cpu (4th Gen Intel Core i5-4300U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.90GHz)) Overall cost is $1101,60 with these upgrades.

Anyway, my real question comes down to why is the lenovo more expensive when it seems that the asus one has better overall specs?

My main uses are going to be work, programming:c# using visual studio (also work) and maybe some gaming on the side. I have a very nice desktop for gaming though.

I am torn because I have heard great things about lenovos t440s and I dont mind the smaller screen, but i cant ignore the specs on the asus.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Solution
The Lenovo ThinkPad T440s is a business oriented laptop and it is built to be durable which means it follows the MIL spec requirements for ruggedness. It is designed to that it can be dropped from about 6 feet on to a hard floor and still operate. There are holes which allows around 8 oz or 12 oz of water to be spilled on the laptop and drain out without damaging the laptop even when it is on. They are also generally designed to survive about a 35MPH direct impact so that it can be turned on long enough and allow you to retrieve vital data from the laptop.

Lastly you get business level tech support instead to regular customer tech support if you need it. Business level tech support is generally far superior because if you piss off a...
It's a thinkpad, the chassis is expensive because they're supposed to take a ton of punishment.

BTW... I don't see a GPU with that thinkpad so no gaming on that notebook.

I'd get the GL551, i7 quad core and Geforce graphics will run circles around that thinkpad.

The Lenovo ThinkPad T440s is a business oriented laptop and it is built to be durable which means it follows the MIL spec requirements for ruggedness. It is designed to that it can be dropped from about 6 feet on to a hard floor and still operate. There are holes which allows around 8 oz or 12 oz of water to be spilled on the laptop and drain out without damaging the laptop even when it is on. They are also generally designed to survive about a 35MPH direct impact so that it can be turned on long enough and allow you to retrieve vital data from the laptop.

Lastly you get business level tech support instead to regular customer tech support if you need it. Business level tech support is generally far superior because if you piss off a business you can potentially jeopardize a contract worth from tens of thousands of dollars to a few million dollars if not more in very large corporations.

Solution

cgleckman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
My main concern is using it for work and programming in c# using visual studio. I do not need a laptop that can game. So basically it comes down to having a laptop that is extremely durable or one that has much better specs.

Thanks!