New laptop computers

didetomshardware

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015
As an I.T. support person at a private school, what response should I take to a supervisor installing new laptop computers onto the network without configuring them properly and adding proper usernames, accounts, passwords and security oriented software so that the new computers can live on the network as they should like the rest?

didetomshardware

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015

No, they do not know computers in detail. They figure that since the wifi signal is available, with the
password, they have access to the Internet and everything is fine. However, this is a school network and it is
divided by curriculums and the age of the students. So some computers use peer to peer where others are just
separate and are used to access the Internet and then the more important ones access an SQL database on
three (3) servers.

So the right configuration on any new computers are critical along with security such as making sure the students have
a standard user account and not an Administrative account among other settings. Also included is disabling
social networks on all of the machines and remote software to make sure a connection can be established
when troubleshooting slight to mid severe problems with a particular machine on the network.

You should have a computer consultant or your computer guy doing that kind of stuff. Is there anyway you can ask to configure all the computers?

didetomshardware

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015

didetomshardware

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015
I am the computer guy, only thing is that I have been out sick and am the only one running that network save for remote connections from time to time when they need my help. I guess my question is, how can I educate staff and convince them that just because a device is plug and play, does not mean that it should be entered onto a network that has been carefully designed without first having it configured properly.