New laptop for university project

C-J

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a new laptop for an environmental chemistry project. I hope you guys can help, i appreciate all your inputs. Thanks. CJ

1_What is your budget?

1000 Euros which is about 1200 USD

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.6" or above

3_What screen resolution do you want?

1366 x 768 or better (1600 x 900 would be ideal)

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Something in between (portability and power)

5_How much battery life do you need?

around 3 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yeah. Probably starcraft 2 and games of the like. I don't care about the settings.. low

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Data anlysis, photo and video editing, PPT presentations and watching movies..

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

At least 320 GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Any.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

I need it for a year. But the lab would want it for 3.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD R/RW. BluRay optional.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Sony, Toshiba, Dell. The reason is that these are the ones they sell around here.

13_What country do you live in?

Here is the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I want it to be fast and well-built (not anything extreme though.. just that the company's build is good). I'm going to be in a moving laboratory working on the laptop, so it should be able to withstand a bit of bumping on the roads and differences in temperatures.
This is what i found:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6367161&CatId=4938

Thanks a lot for any help. I really appreciate it.