New laptop for Word processing & Photos editing on the go

TranUnderWater

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Need a new laptop for possibility of Uni, travelling, journalism etc. Perhaps photo editing. On a quite tight budget and don't need it to be fancy and run games.

1_What is your budget?

My budge is to be honest a max of £300 unless a little more gets me something that will last.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

:eek: A standard size I guess? I'm not a fan of tiny screens.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Not sure what this means but... low resolutions do get very annoying for some things

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5_How much battery life do you need?

I would like as much as possible - this is quite important to me actually

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I'm not overly fussed. If I can get a laptop that's fast for working on and loading images etc I will sacrifice the game ability. I want it for work and I'd rather not have the temptation of games really.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)

Yeh Photo editing is quite likely. Video editing not too fussed I have a desktop. Surfing + music + movies.. quite likely

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

I guess anything of 160gig and over is reasonable

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

Aria.co.uk
dabs.com
Scan.co.uk

Those are all I can think of at the moment.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

This is probably THE most important thing. I hate things that don't last. I don't mind if technology out dates it. But I don't want it to die as soon as teh warranty runs out. I REALLY hate that. :)

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.

Durabiitity and efficiency.. reliability is what I want. A workhorse I guess. Not something that will die and become crippled in a year.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't have good experience with DELL or Packard Bell...no idea why.

13_What country do you live in?

South of England

TranUnderWater

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Hey .. Posted this a long time ago and was (extremely) patient :p

Would be nice if anyone could give me some feedback now that Windows Seven is here - for a laptop below £350 - I will use it for traveling and for browsing the web, writing articles, research - I hope it will be possible to use my external EMU audio interface and be able to set up my microphones + audacity on it.

Mario-savio@live.co.uk if I seem unresponsive. Thankyou