New laptop help, no optimus

Girlinstatic

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I need some help. I am currently on a samsung nc10 netbook and the screen connection is almost dead (known probem) I can't stand it any longer so i'm looking for a new laptop. I like the netbook portability and size but I want something with a wee bit more graphics power and umph in general. Doesn't have to be the best of the best. I'm aware that unless I go Alienware m11x I will have to go bigger.

The thing is, is I really do not want optimus. I have read so many problems with games freezing, not detecting the right graphics, without the ability to manually switch etc. I'm probably looking in the wrong places but I can't find a single newer laptop without this technology. Does anyone know of a semi decent laptop without this?

Hello Girlinstatic;

There are many other options in the 11.6" - 13.3" ultra-portable / subnotebook category besides the M11X Alienware.
A few things aren't quite clear as they could be - such as what budget range are you looking at?
And "a wee bit more graphics power and umph in general" doesn't quite narrow things down - especially since the Samsun NC10 has so little of each.

Can you look over the FAQ - Read before buying / considering a laptop topic?
Answering a few questions in the form shown in that sticky topic can really help us out.

Girlinstatic

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Hi, Thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I will fill out the form:

1. What is your budget?

Expecting to pay around 600 uk pounds, anything cheaper is a bonus.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

I wouldn't mind going up to a 15" laptop if the specs were much improved with something larger.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

No idea to be honest.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Prefer portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Doesn't matter much, will be plugged in the majority of time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

The main thing I want out of this laptop is to be able to run World of Warcraft the best I can get for my budget. My Nc10 plays it barely and it is ok for questing but ALL the settings have to be on low. I also get a dismal 6fps in Stormwind/Org. Would LOVE medium to high settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Watch movies, Light photoshop

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

250GB or higher

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

No specific site as of yet

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Around 2 years or more, I don't usually upgrade as often as some people do as my needs aren't that intensive.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Don't need any.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I've only had an old MSI and this Samsung and have had a good experience aside from the screen issue I am having now, a few years later. I would prefer not to get a Dell because a family member has had a horrific experience with their customer service.

13. What country do you live in?

The UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Was originally looking at the M11x for the (probably overkill) graphics power but being that is it essentially a Dell and has Optimus I wasn't sold. The HP you reccomended looks very affordable and tempting but I am wary that the graphics won't be much improved from the NC10's?

Girlinstatic

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Looking at that Toshiba, the review actually mentions 44fps in WoW on good settings, which is a huge step up from what I am getting now, only problem is I can't find it for sale in the UK :(