new laptop isnt as quick as i thought?

watters1996

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Hi guys, I brought a new laptop last week, mainly for 6th form work, as an upgrade from my old pentium t4300 laptop.
Thing is its not exactly the fastest on bootup, like it takes a good few minutes to fully load up, and it doesnt feel that much faster than my old laptop.
ive cleaned it up with ccleaner (disk cleanup, registry clean, disabled start up programs ect.) and its still a bit slow on bootup.

I dont know if it makes a difference but the samsung fast start and boot options are turned on, whether they make a difference i dont know.

Specs of new laptop are as followed-
Intel Core i3 3rd gen 3110m (2C/4T) @ 2.4GHz
4gb ddr3 1600mhz ram (upgrading to 8gb when im paid)
500gb sata2 hdd
intel 4000 graphics
windows 7 home premium

specs of my old laptop-
Intel Pentium T4300 @ 2.1ghz (2C/2T)
4gb ddr2 ram
250gb sata2 hdd
windows 7 home premium
and the basic onboard graphics.

so as you can see theres a decent margin between the 2 laptops. But i just cant work out for the life of me why this new one takes slightly longer to turn on! everythings clean, defragged and all the crap programs turned off. once its turned on and ''warmed up'' its fine, but the initial load is a bit slow.
I must upgrade the ram in it aswell, because i use chrome and that loves its ram and when i have a few things running my ram jumps to around 80% which i think is bottlenecking my cpu.

any ideas as to why it seems slower?

(i noticed earlier that on battery power the samsung power plan was set to only let the processor run at 50% power but ive knocked that up to 100% now so that should be better)

(also would i be better off having my minimum state set at 100% so the processors constantly on full? or would that make no difference)

thanks guys

immortalpenguin9

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I have a slight idea that may help...I know when your computer start it starts alot of programs in the background like divx updater for example, and alot of other things you may never use. To disable programs on start up go to the search bar in the start menu and type MSCONFIG into it and only one program should come up...open that and go to the services tab and disable some of the useless junk that starts...also in the start up tab should be more useless things that you will pry never use. Just be carefull some things are very important and should never be turned off usually its most of the microsoft thing that are used to keep windows running. I have a couple year old HP and it starts in about 15 seconds after disabling alot of programs that I rarely use.

watters1996

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Yeah I have an SSD in my gaming tower, and thats pretty quick but i have 3 other normal hard drives in the tower to keep data on. I like the 500gig hard drive cus theres loads of room and storage on it and an equivalent for an SSD is mega money which im not willing to part with.

what im trying to say is this 500gig hard drive is actually better than the old 250gig in my old laptop yet it just doesnt feel it. im going to try and find out if this laptop supports sata3, if so i might get a sata3 hdd...

watters1996

Honorable
May 7, 2012
and like i said in the original question i have already gone into msconfig and ccleaner and disabled all the crap that starts with windows... ive been doing that since i was 11 lol.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Defrag the hard drive, I know it's new but you never know. After that really cut back on what auto-boots again. This time to the point where only things you need to make the computer run and security are allowed to boot if you haven't already done so.

Beyond that a SSD would be a good investment. I can tell you I just clocked my chromebook to boot to log in screen in 6sec where as my previous laptop with a normal HD I hit the power button and walk away. I normally described it to my friends as this when they asked me how fast it booted "I hit the power button and make a sandwich and come back when I am done". And I can tell you on my old laptop going from a 5200rpm HD to a 7200rpm HD made a huge difference as well (SSD's weren't around back than).