New laptop or studying, Mac or ultra book?

Zebrakatten

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I'm going to start my university studies this autumn and I really need a new laptop as my current one is heavy and only lasts 1,5-2 hours per charge. I've been looking at zenbooks, MacBook Air, dell xps 13 and other similar laptops but I can't figure out what I actually need and which one best fulfills my needs.

1. What is your budget?
Max ~ 1300usd / 9000dkkr

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
~ 13 inches

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Not important

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable (or ultraportable)

5. How much battery life do you need?
As much as possible 10+

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not important but it would be nice to play non-demanding games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Writing - University assignments - browsing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Not sure? Enough for University but I do have an external hard drive

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None specific but in Denmark

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Preferably 4-5 years. Absolute minimum is 3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not important (do need usb)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't really prefer anything. I've used Lenovo before and been satisfied and currently own several apple products which I am quite satisfied with (no computers, though)

13. What country do you live in?
Denmark

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I need it for studying so no hardcore gaming or anything.
As long as it fulfills my basic requirements (able to handle word, browsing and such) the most important aspects for me is battery life, lightweight and quality of keyboard(little to no noise and little give) as well as durability as I need it to last more or less the 5 years I'll be at university (of course I won't go around throwing it and don't plan on dropping it )
I don't care if it's OS X or Windows.
Please ask if there's anything I should add or haven't mentioned.

Solution
aluminum body is overrated. it looks great, but not really practical.
You may want to go to apple store and try to use mac for some task.
like editing some text.
My favorite laptop line was always thinkpad X series.
I have no experience with the XPS, but from what i've seen in reviews, it's very decent.

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
zen book and XPS will offer better value.
Macbooks are seriously overpriced.
Unless you really need some OS X specific software, i wouldn't recommend one.
I own a Macbook pro 13 and working with macs for last 5 years. If i had to buy a laptop, XPS 13 would be in top of my list.

Zebrakatten

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
So the others are better? Because they cost the same (the air is a bit cheaper depending on where, actually)
I'm not as interested in ability to handle games or other demanding things so are the xps and zenbooks better in build quality, keyboard, touchpad and the like?

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Air has a very weak CPU.
it is really subjective opinion, i just don't like the mac keyboard (shortcuts etc.).
But I know what i want and it's pissing me when it can not be configured as i want it.
So you might like it.
IMHO, air is too expensive for a typing machine

Zebrakatten

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I wouldn't know, I've never had a MacBook of any kind. What makes me hesitate in picking the XPS or Zenbook is that I've heard that their build quality isn't as good, that they don't last as long (still being useable after 5 years) and that their batteries doesn't last as long. But I don't know if this is simply 'Apple fanboying' or actual facts.

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
aluminum body is overrated. it looks great, but not really practical.
You may want to go to apple store and try to use mac for some task.
like editing some text.
My favorite laptop line was always thinkpad X series.
I have no experience with the XPS, but from what i've seen in reviews, it's very decent.

Solution