new laptop randomly switched off, now only has black screen, buttons dont work and no sounds.

jurjen543

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015
my girlfriend bought a new laptop today, it is a asus zenbook type UX303LA-C4376H
while trying to set it up for the first time, windows was updating to win 10 on the back ground and microsoft office was installing to, it randomly shut down.
we at first figured it might have something to do with one of the installing programs. one might have needed a reboot and just executed one. so we restarted it. only to see a black screen, there are to lights ignited
one indicating that caps-lock is on and one indicating that the laptop is on. other than that none are lit.
the screen doesnt change teint of black or lighting. and i personally dont think the buttons work since i can not change the Caps-lock status light.
we've found that installing windows 10 somtimes couses a black screen. but in that case the buttons still work and in most cases at least the cursor will become visible.
any suggestions are welcome!

Solution
Hi,

The laptop could still be in the process of installing Windows 10 because as you mentioned the PC randomly shuts down that is part of the process usually when installing an operating system. If it take a while just do a hard reset with the PC and start again. Remove the battery off the laptop and the AC adapter as well then press and hold the power button for 20 secs. then turn it back on and resume with the Windows 10 upgrade if prompted to do so. I would suggest to run the Windows 10 upgrade first and once finish you can proceed with installing other software you wish to install.
Hi,

The laptop could still be in the process of installing Windows 10 because as you mentioned the PC randomly shuts down that is part of the process usually when installing an operating system. If it take a while just do a hard reset with the PC and start again. Remove the battery off the laptop and the AC adapter as well then press and hold the power button for 20 secs. then turn it back on and resume with the Windows 10 upgrade if prompted to do so. I would suggest to run the Windows 10 upgrade first and once finish you can proceed with installing other software you wish to install.

Solution