New Laptop, Screw's Thread Stripped?

WhoKnew22

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hey everyone,

Just bought a new Asus K55A and bought an SSD and RAM to upgrade. I went to remove the two screws (in recessed holes) that hold the cover on the HDD. One came out fine, but the other comes out part way and then just spins freely. The head is NOT stripped, the screwdriver grips fine, I can retighten and then partially reloosen until my heart's content.

According to Windows Update, the laptop had things installed in March, so it can't be thread-lock holding it in, since the other screw came out just fine.

Any ideas? If it can't come out, can I system restore and return it to the retailer I bought it from, I don't really want to RMA a brand new, perfectly functioning laptop and get back a refurb.

Thanks!

Solution
Sometimes the screws are not able to fully come out. Can you try and lift the cover and see if the screw is holding it in at all. If this is the case try slowly unscrewing and lifting in case the thread re-catches.

It should be the way, you could always google/youtube it and have a look.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Sometimes the screws are not able to fully come out. Can you try and lift the cover and see if the screw is holding it in at all. If this is the case try slowly unscrewing and lifting in case the thread re-catches.

It should be the way, you could always google/youtube it and have a look.

Solution