New Laptop Underperforming

matthijsdejong

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Hello fellow Tom's hardware users,
Today I've gotten my brand new gaming laptop from BTO
It has amazing specs (GTX 965m & i5 4690s) These specs are pretty good in my opinion and are better than my desktop pc specs (GTX 780 & i7 860) But still does my Desktop have a way better score in 3DMark. I know you "can't" compare a desktop PC to a gaming laptop but still this is kindof odd to me. The score for my laptop was 4500 and for my desktop it was around 7500. Is there something I'm just missing out or is it really the fact that It's a laptop that It performs worse.
The laptop cost me around 2000$ and my desktop around a 1000$.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Solution
To give you a comparison, here's the CUDA core difference:

GTX 965M = 1024 (exact same specs are a underclocked GTX 960 BTW.)
GTX 780 = 2304

So you will get at least 2.3 x more performance out of the 780, probably 3x if we counted in the shaders.

But yes, the 965M is still a great GPU.

andreii707

Estimable
Apr 25, 2015
Well I did a bit of research and I found this, it may answer your question and the rather big difference in score:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-965M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-780/m24481vs2164

I am not an expert by any means but I think your GPU is similar to a desktop version of the GTX 960 or probably even weaker, which is in turn weaker than the GTX 780.

On the other hand, the processor is definitely an improvement.

Laptop GPUs are a lot less powerful compared to their desktop counterparts.

This is because a laptop GPU can only consume a limited amount of power compared to desktop GPUs. Also, laptops have limited cooling capabilities so laptop GPUs can only produce so much heat before the laptop overheats and possibly damage the laptop itself. Based on the following link to Notebookcheck, they rank the GTX 965m to be a little better than the desktop GTX 580.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-965M.134120.0.html

To give you a comparison, here's the CUDA core difference:

GTX 965M = 1024 (exact same specs are a underclocked GTX 960 BTW.)
GTX 780 = 2304

So you will get at least 2.3 x more performance out of the 780, probably 3x if we counted in the shaders.

But yes, the 965M is still a great GPU.

Solution

andreii707

Estimable
Apr 25, 2015
I have a similar card to yours in terms of perfrmance, a bit weaker and the rest of the system is quite old and I can play a lot of new games at decent settings (I still use USB 2.0 ffs xD). I think you will be fine, don't expect to be able to always use the highest settings, but you may get close. For me at least that laptop is good.

matthijsdejong

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah, the laptop will be used for heavy video editing (after effects) and the 16g of ram combined with the powerful i5 make it a great rendering machine too. I'll be playing games like cs:go, Black Ops II and GTA V sometimes, I know it's capable of running these games in decent resolution (bo2 ultra csgo ultra gta medium/high) Thanks for your help Andrei