New laptop

hellymonster

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi new to the forums. I'm looking for advice on which laptop to get.

Some of specifications I require are 15.6" screen, good battery life (5 hours preferably) , it needs to run smoothly on Windows 7 (Dual/Quad core, 4GB+ Ram) and durable. I don't really require a large amount of hard drive space (100 GB or so).

I'll be watching HD films and word processing on it mostly.

My price range is up to £400(~$630).

Thanks in advance!

Hi :)

Forget manufacturers figures, you will NOT get 5 hours out of a laptop assuming you are actually using it....

Divide their figure by 3 and you will have a better estimation of battery time in REAL life...

All the best Brett :)

hellymonster

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Looks good - first purchase and a bit nervous:does it have an antiglare screen as its for teaching small groups ,and a good quality webcam as I cannot find these spec details on the particulars on the website which I am buying from.
Amazon and Ebay are at £386...any ideas of anywhere cheaper.

Will await your replies.
Much appreciated

It does in my world....we regularly test new laptops before we sell them...

In the Uk there are various laws about what we can say to customers regarding features....

As an example... if a manufacturer says 6 hours battery life.....and then WE say it....then legally WE ARE RESPONSIBLE to ensure it does last for 6 hours....

If we test it and are honest with the customer and say "on average we got 2 hours out of it" then thats what we are legally responsible for...

As my companies pride ourselves on being honest with our customers, we do the right thing, even if it means we lose the occasional sale...which we more than make up for with repeat customers and recommendations....

As far as the actual percentages go, maybe I am being a little hard with one third, but its no more than 50% usually depending on which make etc...

There are a lot of things laptop manufacturers are honest about, but unfortunately battery time in real life is NOT one of them...

So it's not divide by 3? But divide by 2?
Any chance you could be ... wrong again?

None whatsoever....

And your derogatory comments only mislead laptop buyers into buying equipment that is not what they expect....

I have sold thousands of Laptops and repaired even more..... how many have you sold or repaired ?

You want to know the most common repairs we make..its the .."replace the charging socket" (due to rough handling)

You want to know the most common part we get requested for laptops...new batteries as the customer "thinks" they are failing as they wont give the charge time the manufacturers promised....and we dont even sell laptop batteries...I think you can guess why...