New Lenovo Y40-80 question

Adam Rosen

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Looking to buy a new laptop, hoping to find a 14". I was seeing the Lenovo Y40 series, and liked just about everything spec-wise but was seeing it getting panned for the screen quality. Today it looks like the Y40-80 series, with the 5th gen processors are available. Does anyone know if they fixed the screen quality in this new generation?

Thanks

Adam

Adam Rosen

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

Vembutech - I know it is available, but is the screen the same as in the Y40-70 generation, or did they improve it?

JoeyCrafts

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
Hey Adam, I might be able to help you out with this. I just recently purchased this laptop a few days ago because I got a great deal on it. Ill send you the discount link if you haven't already purchased it.

I too had the same question about the display. I've looked around at a ton of reviews of the y-40 and almost all of them mentioned that the display didn't live up to expectations. There are really no reviews right now of the Y40-80 because it's recent release. I did however chat with a Lenovo rep about this issue. He actually stated to me that he has heard the displays were not that great(surprisingly, from a rep), but assured me that it is "anticipated to be better" than the base Y-40 model. That's really all the information I got out of him and I hope this helps in any way.

Here's the promised link of a $400 off coupon.
http://www.dealzon.com/deals/lenovo-y40-laptop#lenovo-y40-80-80fa001cus

-JoeyCrafts

ronf

Estimable
Feb 2, 2015
No. The screen is the same as the previous gen with the same flaws, but that's ok for what I need it for. What's disappointing is the battery life which is nearly the same as the Haswell models. The fan is working pretty hard too. Just purchased 5 of these and they all behaved the same. I have high hopes that these will be reliable however.

ScottieT

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015

Ronf,
Do you happen to have any update on the five Y40-80s you purchased in February? What are you using them for and how are they performing? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one this weekend.

echo259

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015
I've been using the y40 (i7 - 5500u) for 3 weeks now. I got it for $600 during one of the sales. So far I've loving it. My requirements for a laptop was something under 5 pounds and under $800 dollars. I needed something mobile that can play games. (My main rig is a full on gaming desktop).

The screen is not great BUT it is very usable. Since Its normally 2 feet in front of my face I have no issues with viewing angles. The key travel on the keyboard is light but once again usable.

Overall its a laptop with compromises but consider it was for $600 this was the best bang for the money if you need something under 5 pounds.

I linked youtube video that does an honest review of the laptop. Its for the y40-70 model but everything still applies. With the exception of they keyboard flex. I think the y40-80 fixed that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2qVNypl95I