New MacBook [Air] announcement - VERY DISAPPOINTING!

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
So, I just went over the specs and details of the new MacBook (replacing Air), and in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY, it's worse, apart from being thinner, and higher res screen!

You lose USB, HDMI, Thunderbolt, MagSafe, and SD card slot, then you get a USB-C that's not very useful, so need to carry a whole bunch of adapters?! What are they thinking? Basically you can't even charge your iPhone off the laptop... it also looks like it's made out of cheaper material (iPad/iPhone bendable stuff).

On top of it all, IT IS WAY SLOWER?! WTF... what are they thinking? not even a touchscreen display. Looks like the old Macbook Air 13 is a keeper and newer Dell or even HP Spectre 360 are the ones to get!

Anyone else thinks the same that the new MacBook is an absolute fail?

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

So a $200-$300 Chromebook that will still run everything she needs?

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

It has a single UB Type C port. You'll need adapter for even an iPhone.

12-inch-MacBook-Air-sides-render-1024x419.png

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Exactly.
The same way a Datsun Sunny is all the car she'll ever need.
The same way a 1 bed unit is all my folks need.
So why do they have 3 cars a boat and a double storey house overlooking the city for just two people?
Because they're idiots, of course.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

If you think spending $1000 on looks is ok, when functionality is practically identical, then good for you. I'd rather pocket the difference, or put the $1000 into one of those three cars, boat, and double storey house.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Wouldn't we all :p But for us mere mortals where money is still finite, the new MBA doesn't make much sense, in the end. Even if we compare it to past models, it doesn't make much sense.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Few things I saw last night...

-This 2015 IS marginally faster than the previous according to GeekBench.

-USB-C. Reversible. FINALLY! And it's not an Apple licence so essentially anybody can make anything with a USB-C which will open up all sorts of products, and should make it the future usb standard.
Interesting that its powered both IN and OUT, so you can use it to charge or be charged.
It's can also operate as a display connection for DP, HDMI etc.
Expect the next MBP to have 3-5 in total.

And 13mm thick is incredibly thin. Grab a ruler and have a look.
Makes the previous look like a brick.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

I will admit that Apple engineering is very darn good. I've thought for a long time that a tablet processor in a notebook format would make the ideal laptop for most people. That's basically what this new MB Air is, although they were able to add more power thanks to Intel's CPU advancements.

I still think it's way overpriced and would pick $1000 and a Acer CB3 Chromebook instead for practically every purpose. But I will give the due credit to their engineering team.