New Memory Card

Tim_70

Commendable
May 29, 2016
How do I move my games and music from internal phone storage to the memory card that was just installed on my phone?

Solution
If you are referring to a new SD card, well the only way to actually move them, the only way to be able to, is if your phone has two things.

1. It must be running "Marshmallow". If it is running any other OS, below that, then moving to a card is not possible.
2. You must have a phone that also allows for moving to the card.

The only way to know for sure if your phone will allow it (if it is running Marshmallow of course) is to take a blank SD card (it has to be blank, unless you want anything on it erased when it is formatted to work), insert it in the device and choose the option to set the card as "Internal" rather than "External".

Cards are normally set as "External", however in Marshmallow (and only on some devices) it will...
If you are referring to a new SD card, well the only way to actually move them, the only way to be able to, is if your phone has two things.

1. It must be running "Marshmallow". If it is running any other OS, below that, then moving to a card is not possible.
2. You must have a phone that also allows for moving to the card.

The only way to know for sure if your phone will allow it (if it is running Marshmallow of course) is to take a blank SD card (it has to be blank, unless you want anything on it erased when it is formatted to work), insert it in the device and choose the option to set the card as "Internal" rather than "External".

Cards are normally set as "External", however in Marshmallow (and only on some devices) it will allow making the card "Internal" which is what the phones storage is. When it does it, the card is formatted and encrypted to work with that specific device. It would then be unreadable from other devices.

So first check if your device is running Marshmallow. If not, and if you can't upgrade to it, then you can't move apps and games to the card.

At least, these are the only ways to do it with a standard Android OS. There are ways to do it on a rooted device, but I wouldn't recommend that if the device is under warranty, as that would void the warranty. Should you want more info on rooting, please visit the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html

Solution