New MSI gaming laptop? What do you think? GT70 Dominator Dragon-1886

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tommyturner12

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
Recently, I've been searching around for some gaming laptops to use as a desktop replacement. I've already cut out:

-Sager: Haven't seen many reviews, though it's VERY cheap and VERY powerful, I don't trust buying from a rather, smaller, company, than the other widely trusted brands(ASUS, MSI, Lenovo)

and

-ASUS: Much more expensive than what you're paying for in hardware, though it has great cooling and build quality, the price/performance ratio doesn't cut it.

Obviously, Alienware is gone. As is Toshiba, Dell, XP, and unfortunately Lenovo (Lenovo makes pretty good gaming laptops, but not for me).

That leaves one top notch quality company left, MSI. Everyone knows MSI makes laptops designed specifically for gaming. They also know that they throw in insanely powerful specs at a cheap cost.

Now, I've heard all the talk about the cooling issues with MSI. I don't find that to be 100% relevant. The thing is, for the specs, MSI gaming laptops stay pretty cool, and with some better thermal paste, a cooling pad, and Turbo Boost on, you can cool the laptop temps dramatically by up to 20°C. Not only that, what I love about MSI is that they have incredible ventilation. It dissipates all of the heat away from crucial components, and the keyboard also stays nice and cool, too. I'm pretty sure I'm okay with cooling for now.

My budget is $1400, and I'll stretch the extra $50 at the MOST. The laptop I've been looking into is a bit different than the others. It is a GT70 Dominator 895, except with a 4810MQ and a red chassis. It's referred to as the GT70 Dominator Dragon-1886. I've found literally ZERO reviews on it, so here are the links:

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT70-DOMINATOR-DRAGON-1886-17-3-Inch/dp/B00LJEJZSY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1KEM9PDSET0Y57QYCJ8F

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjwrqieBRCln82Rgufz7I0BEiQAPNjAI6giyyvVri3L9xv8vGcaWewrb9fAPdh5hnZHBC9lsroaAjvS8P8HAQ&Item=N82E16834152602&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-All+Gaming+Notebooks-_-N82E16834152602&ef_id=UruDBAAABPDZ9SMa:20140720034526:s

So, at $1450, it comes packed with an Intel i7 4810MQ, a GTX 870m with 3GB VRAM, 8GB upgradeable RAM, a 1TB HDD, along with Windows 8.1, a 17.3" screen, and a 1080p HD screen resolution. I'll add an SSD later along with 16 more gigs of RAM to maximize the experience.

Now, you may be wondering why I didn't just go $50 cheaper and get the NORMAL GT70. The reason is because that at almost $1500, at the price you're paying, anyone deserves some eye candy with what they pay for. I love the red color to the chassis, along with the 4810MQ CPU. Sure the 4810MQ isn't that much better than the 4800MQ (about 3-5% better), but I don't care.

Now, I'd love to hear you're opinions on the MSI GT70 Dominator Dragon-1886. Should I bite the bullet and grab it? If I do, which I've basically just convinced myself I would, I'll put a review up on Youtube and add a nice, well written out response on Amazon and/or Newegg. I'll update this post in about January and give you the links to the review. Maybe, if I save the money to buy a high quality camera, I'll do an unboxing. I hope by that time there'll be some reviews out there.

Also, it comes with a free mouse and mouse pad.

Leave your thoughts below. Please, do not address the fact that desktops are better, or ASUS is more bang for buck, etc. I've made up my mind. I just want to know what you guys think. Sorry for the long post! Had to get it in one try :p

Cheers!

Solution
For gaming, only thing off top of my head Maxwell vs kepler is power consumption to performance. Gaming on battery is almost not a thing you can do on the 870, as it would only last for 45 min on battery, but the 870m requires to much power for the battery to be able to give. While the 860m can typically play same game same settings as while plugged in, with minimal problems and for a lot longer. Example, my 880m I cant play borderlands unless I drop settings. I just do quick drop to 720p and I play on high settings. I'll get maybe 45 min. When I had my asus JM with 860m. I could play borderlands 2 1080p on high settings, and for a good hour and half to two hours.

But for cuda support, Maxwell is cuda 5, kepler is cuda 3. For...

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

No, the CPU according to model number is socketed. And a 4710 i7. Honestly, there is only 2 chips better, a 4810 and a 4930. the 4810 is only a few hundred mhz above this and that's whats in the GT70 series now.

But the 4930k chip, is a few hundred mhz above that, and costs about $1000 chip alone.

The 4710 is more of a chip than you will ever 'need'. Any upgrades from now til 4 years from now (straight performance wise) shouldn't/wouldn't yield a big enough gain to upgrade the chip.

The graphics are typically the only thing ever upgraded inside the laptop. And even those are typically only 'needed' based on gaming performance every 3-4 years.

Mido Elmasry

Estimable
Aug 26, 2014

Mido Elmasry

Estimable
Aug 26, 2014
so the msi gt72 is better than asus g750jz 100% but i dont know if i will face any problems with the battery because it is built in this makes me worry and also am worry about making it open from the bottom will make it a dust eater please answer i noticed that you are interested about these things

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Well intels baytrail will also be out by end of year. Might as well wait for that to.

I'd take an Asus jz over msi.

Bottom of msi all open, Asus pretty sealed. Battery on Asus externally removable.
Keyboard on Asus more solid keys better typing, for me at least. Plus this is msi's first go, Asus not so much as theve had dual configs for 4+ years now

Wronger007

Estimable
Aug 31, 2014

Is nvidea gtx860 better than gtx880 in rendering , i use revit,sketchup,lumion, v ray rendering , and sometimes 3d max.and i want to do gaming also like cod and crisis.
Alot of people advice to go for quadro but i feel they are over rated in price , and i hear they are bad in gaming
I was just wondering what is the best gpu , and the 860 is really much cheaper laptop comparing to 880 . And i need to save some bucks , as my original budget was 1500'so pls help

Any advice will be really appreciated
I aplogise for my bad english