New parts for an old laptop

troubleshooter99

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
Hello everyone, I have a five year old Toshiba Satellite C875 that I'd like to get a few more years out of before I get a new one. It runs decent, nothing like my wife's newer Asus though I don't expect it to. What I'd like to know is of there's an easy way to see if Bios will support what few components I can swap out, something like pc part picker but for older machines. I do have CPU Z and can post more info when I get home tonight. The only thing ive done so far is replace my optical drive with an old hdd I salvaged out of a broken laptop of my parents.

Thanks again!

Solution

troubleshooter99

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
An SSD is on the list for what I want to do. Eventually id like to get one a do a fresh OS install while using the second one I'm currently using for media. As far as RAM, I currently have 6gb as I robbed the 2gb chip out of the same old broken laptop I got the HDD out of. I do mainly light gaming, Minecraft, older Total War games and such. Would it be worth it to jump to 8gb? I'm not looking for a super gaming rig or anything with this old machine and the older games run pretty decent. The last thing I'd like (and probably be able to upgrade) would be the wifi card. We have a dual band AC router and i'd like to use it to the fullest. I have a half size card currently and it's right next to the RAM for easy acess.

Mainly, I'd just like to know what the best way to verify if these components are compatible with my machine prior to ordering.

Probably any WiFi card that uses the standard connection will work with the right drivers in the laptop. But you need to make sure the antenna is correct. For RAM, if you use dual 4 gb sticks then having 8 over a mis-matched pair would be better. SSD, any regular SATA SSD will fit the laptop.

Solution