New PC for parents

Stankenestor

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
Hi!

My parents desktop PC broke and they are in need of a new one. I'm thinking of buying a relatively low end laptop for them with an SSD since it's more convenient than a desktop computer and they will only use the PC to browse the internet. They can also hook it up to the computer screen if they like to. So what is the lifespan of a low end to mid range laptop and do they get slower by time more so than desktop computers?

And finally what laptop would you recommend? They want the PC to last very long so maybe it needs to be a more expensive one?

Thanks!

Solution
Well,

Laptops do tend to last shorter than desktop PC's, this because most times the processor is weaker and they get 'bullied' more than a desktop pc.

A desktop PC will also be cheaper than a laptop if you look at the same specs.
Lifespan of a low/medium end laptop with only Internet will be some time, don't worry about that.
But if you want to keep it cheap,I'd go with a desktop PC, as you already have a monitor.

Here you have a quite future proof 'Internet' PC.
I've put in a video card aswell for some Youtube vid's or small games w/e.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GK2kYr

Hope this helped you :)!

tycho68

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
Well,

Laptops do tend to last shorter than desktop PC's, this because most times the processor is weaker and they get 'bullied' more than a desktop pc.

A desktop PC will also be cheaper than a laptop if you look at the same specs.
Lifespan of a low/medium end laptop with only Internet will be some time, don't worry about that.
But if you want to keep it cheap,I'd go with a desktop PC, as you already have a monitor.

Here you have a quite future proof 'Internet' PC.
I've put in a video card aswell for some Youtube vid's or small games w/e.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GK2kYr

Hope this helped you :)!

Solution

tibo.tuypens

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Stankenestor : "Building computer for parents"

IMO, a laptop is a waste of money unless you really need the mobility. They're more expensive for less performance. So are prebuild desktops.
These days it's pretty easy to build a cheap desktop just for web browsing. You wouldn't need the newest generation of CPU nor a dedicated GPU at all.

I think it's a good idea to look up some basic components to get an idea of the price. Probably depends on what stores are available to you. But for web browsing a newer intel Pentium CPU should do. If big storage isn't needed for your parents then a small SSD could give you that extra speed, very nice to have.

Good luck!

Yes, I'd also recommend a DIY build (or get it custom-built for you) because laptops and factory-built desktops invariably come preloaded with all manner of bloatware & unnecessary startup items which slows it down even before you start adding your own stuff.

You can't beat starting with a "clean" system - - a vanilla Windows installation plus drivers, no bloatware to bog it down.
You won't get that with a factory-built computer.

tibo.tuypens

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
Also a note, if you didn't know already. Get your windows 10 key on Kinguin. You'll pay around 20 to 25 euro/dollar for a W10 Pro key.
Much beter than paying the full price at a store. Saves some money on every build you do. Buyer protection is 1 euro/dollar if you want to be sure. :)

USAFRet

Illustrious

And then have to buy it all over again when that illicit license is invalidated by Microsoft.

If it were "valid", why would one have to spend extra money for "buyer protection"?

Stankenestor

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
Hello everyone, thank you for the answers. So based on the feedback i think I will probably build a new PC. My parents want it to be energy efficient as well as have a long lifespan. What components do I choose to achieve this? If I want the computer to last for a long time, shouldn't I buy more high-end parts so that they won't be as dated in a few years? Or am I better off buying cheap parts now suitable for a purely internet browsing PC and then just buy a new cheap PC once it breaks/ becomes too dated and slow?

USAFRet

Illustrious

A $400 laptop would seem to serve this use just fine.
Compact, energy efficient, etc.

Lifespan? I have a 2009 era low end Toshiba laptop sitting next to me. Running just fine.
What DOES wear out in a laptop is the mechanical bits. Keyboard, screen hinge...But for that use, it will last years.