New poll suggests less than half of Americans plan to buy an EV for their next vehicle — here’s why

reader134

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2015
This article is a lie about the savings. All the savings are more than offset by the massive replacement cost of the battery. The cost to replace a Tesla model S battery is $15k-$20k. You are so unbelievable screwed when the battery needs to be replaced. EVs really haven't been out very long for people to realize this. But what happens when you have a battery die and it costs $20k to replace. If you don't replace it, the car is worth $6k. If you do put $20k into the car is worth $12k. I'd say cut your losses and go back to ICE with that option. What would you do. Would you put $20k into a $6k EV that needs a battery replacement but is only worth $12k if you do?

I say HELL NO! The biggest problem with EVs is the battery replacement cost that destroys the practicality conversation. Meanwhile, my 1996 Corvette is still running like new. The only thing I've had to replace? You got it, the battery. But fortunately, a new battery is $200. That's a lot more affordable. The current technology in EVs is not scalable and not practical for the long term. Let me know when there is a new technology that makes batteries last 50 years.

Jun 17, 2024
This article is a lie about the savings. All the savings are more than offset by the massive replacement cost of the battery. The cost to replace a Tesla model S battery is $15k-$20k. You are so unbelievable screwed when the battery needs to be replaced. EVs really haven't been out very long for people to realize this. But what happens when you have a battery die and it costs $20k to replace. If you don't replace it, the car is worth $6k. If you do put $20k into the car is worth $12k. I'd say cut your losses and go back to ICE with that option. What would you do. Would you put $20k into a $6k EV that needs a battery replacement but is only worth $12k if you do?

I say HELL NO! The biggest problem with EVs is the battery replacement cost that destroys the practicality conversation. Meanwhile, my 1996 Corvette is still running like new. The only thing I've had to replace? You got it, the battery. But fortunately, a new battery is $200. That's a lot more affordable. The current technology in EVs is not scalable and not practical for the long term. Let me know when there is a new technology that makes batteries last 50 years.
This is a lie. Battery packs are under warranty. My Tesla 2018 Model 3 needed a new battery this year and it cost $0. I just had to leave it at the shop for two weeks, and got a 2023 Model 3 as a loaner, free of charge, for those two weeks.

Jun 17, 2024
If tariffs were not so steep on Chinese EVs, the EV story in the US would be very different. EVs in China are already 45% of all new car sales. In the US, they would be selling like hotcakes.

Jun 18, 2024
Negative Headline with essentially a positive view of EVs. Interesting. Yes, most charging is done @ home so an EV could work as an “around town” 2nd car…once the prices become more reasonable, quality improves dramatically, service locations increase, and repair expense & time decrease. I think 5 years out they will be better but not for the average family yet. Ditto, the family car for all the reasons about plus all the issues are magnified for longer trips making it more of a challenge unless you enjoy living on the “bleeding” edge of technology. Service centers …”forgetaboutit”! Mileage duration might be getting closer but charging stations & chargers are nowhere near as plentiful as gas stations and pumps. You can only pray that the charging station in Nebraska you are planning to use is actually operational so you and the car don’t have to be transported back to Denver to simply be recharged. Then, of course, there is the holiday travel volume which creates the long wait line fiascos which dwarf the actual charging time. Think CA @ Turkey time.