New PS Vita vs. Vita TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
I don't know where you got your 6.3 inch Vita, but as far as I can tell (from Amazon and Wikipedia), the first-gen Vita has a 5 inch screen too.

Joshua Carter

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
There were rumors of the new Vita having a 6.3 inch screen. These have obviously since been put to rest, as the new handheld has a 5 inch LCD

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
I don't own a Vita yet but from what I understand, many people have experienced burn-in on the OLED screen version. LCD tech has indeed improved a lot recently. The colors still aren't as vivid as what an OLED screen can produce but LCD panels also have a significantly longer life span than OLED panels and generally don't suffer from burn-in

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The Vita TV seems like it's going to be a great purchase for people who are already invested into the Sony ecosystem.

Someone who owns a portable Vita, PSP, and PS4, as an example, would be able to play many of their existing physical or digital Vita games on the big screen with a controller, do the same with digital PSP games they own, ps1 classics, and stream PS4 to another room.

How is that considerable value just ignored here?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Ive read from various sourced that the new screen is actually LED. The new Vita has what appears to be the analog sticks everyone hated from the PSP days, or at least something similar. The current Vita has nice analog sticks. Overall, the new Vita seems like more of a downgrade, but its necessary to get a nice price drop.

I am very excited for VitaTV though. Its a very interesting path for Sony and one that certainly has garnered public interest with the Ouya and other low cost media center devices. Of course the game library is limited to non-touch games, but even with this limitation, theres certainly better games on the VitaTV console than other Android consoles. At $100 this is great value for your money.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@bustapr

They're switching from OLED to LCD screens. There's pros and cons, I suppose, with one of the pros being that LCD is less susceptible to burn in. I think that people just liked the OLED on the Vita a lot, since it produces such nice looking color, and are worried that the LCD wasn't be as nice. I'm curious to see the comparisons once the new Vita gets into the hands of sites like Anandtech.

As for the analogs... They're still the "good" ones. And the X O square triangle buttons have been improved. So no downgrade on inputs....

From there, no more propriety USB connector, they slimmed the Vita down quite a bit, added nice color models, added in 1GB of internal storage (so people without memory cards can play physical media, storing saves on the 1GB), and it actually looks pretty nice.
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/hardware/

thermopyle

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
"Uncharted: Golden Abyss" and "Assassin's Creed: Liberation" are not 'strangely absent." They're absent because they make integral use of Vita-specific hardware in their gameplay--namely the touchscreen. It was clear from the initial announcements that the Vita TV was leaving such games off the compatibility list due to the hardware differences.

thermopyle

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
"Uncharted: Golden Abyss" and "Assassin's Creed: Liberation" are not 'strangely absent." They're absent because they make integral use of Vita-specific hardware in their gameplay--namely the touchscreen. It was clear from the initial announcements that the Vita TV was leaving such games off the compatibility list due to the hardware differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.