New Skype Competitor Boasts Up to 20K Callers at Once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Skype has a special place in my heart. I received a message ones. A few conversations later, Skype got me a blowjob. Aah, sweet Skype memories! There is nothing like it!

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
"HD voice chat" eh? It must be way better, just like the GMC Sierra HD because everything can be "HD" apparently. I searched RaidCall on Wikipedia and there's no article for it. Strange, considering it supposedly has 10 million users.

lol Kevin, I like how you tried to speak to the cyrllic users in english and gave up. :D

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Looks like freggo found it! Sorry weatherdude, you shouldn't use wikipedia as a source for something to exist, I mean it's wikipedia!

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]weatherdude[/nom]"HD voice chat" eh? It must be way better, just like the GMC Sierra HD because everything can be "HD" apparently. I searched RaidCall on Wikipedia and there's no article for it. Strange, considering it supposedly has 10 million users.lol Kevin, I like how you tried to speak to the cyrllic users in english and gave up.[/citation]

Have you ever listened to mumble? Yeah raid call sounds pretty HD compared to that. Also HD on a truck is heavy duty and has been used many years before HD in HDTV took over every aspect of digital marketing. Your comment reads pretty silly.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Dude this sounds awesome. I can't wait to sign up.

And yeah I will use it for gaming too... no more Ventrilo... I hate Vent. And no I don't "raid" but I do game.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
If M$ cannot keep their S up, and kept on pumping trash onto it, it will just be yet another MSN messager... You wanna pump ads? You wanna use up tonnes of ram for no reason? You wanna keep on trucking with weird connection issues? It's bound to get screwed at the end.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Isn't video chat the main draw of Skype? I see no mention of video chat here (I haven't tested it out, so I'm not sure if it has it--I just don't see any mention of it in this article). Sounds like a service that has it's place for sure, but if it doesn't have the video chat, then I don't think it's fair to compare it to Skype.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Looks like freggo found it! Sorry weatherdude, you shouldn't use wikipedia as a source for something to exist, I mean it's wikipedia![/citation]

Actually that is a userpage sandbox, something that all users have access to so they can experiment. That is no way shape or form an actual article on Wikipedia. I of course was never doubting the existence of RaidCall, however with a claimed 10 million users it not unreasonable to expect at the very least a stub on Wikipedia. Even searches on the Russian and Chinese Wikipedia bring up nothing. And I certainly ain't one to start new articles.

[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Have you ever listened to mumble? Yeah raid call sounds pretty HD compared to that. Also HD on a truck is heavy duty and has been used many years before HD in HDTV took over every aspect of digital marketing. Your comment reads pretty silly.[/citation]

Yes, I was being over-the-top. The HD moniker is still abused like hell though.
The IETF has finally standardised the Opus audio codec.http://www.opus-codec.org/ It is far more capable than Speex and it will pave the way for high quality interactive speech.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]weatherdude[/nom]"HD voice chat" eh? It must be way better, just like the GMC Sierra HD because everything can be "HD" apparently. I searched RaidCall on Wikipedia and there's no article for it. Strange, considering it supposedly has 10 million users.lol Kevin, I like how you tried to speak to the cyrllic users in english and gave up.[/citation]

i have a great microphone, how much of the quality do you really thing gets transferred over the internet?

their are peer to peer direct connections, but most of the time, its compressed to some extent.

spoonless eddie

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Well, looks like this "Skype competitor" has no video. Some competitor.

How old do you need to be to write for this rag? Do you get paid in Cap'n Crunch?

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]stevo777[/nom]Isn't video chat the main draw of Skype? .... if it doesn't have the video chat, then I don't think it's fair to compare it to Skype.[/citation]
[citation][nom]spoonless eddie[/nom]Well, looks like this "Skype competitor" has no video. Some competitor.[/citation]
Actually, although Skype's video chat may be it's coolest and nicest feature, I believe voice only calls are it's most used feature and therefore it's most popular feature. And I think the only service that makes money is when calls are made using Skype to non-Skype recipients, like regular land line and cell phone numbers (also a very popular use of Skype). So, it would be fair to consider any "successful" provider of such a service as a competitor to Skype.
But seems like Raidcall offers a VOIP feature added to chat rooms, whereas Skype is all about adding specific people you want to communicate with to your contact list. Seems like two different markets with little overlap.

Status
Not open for further replies.