New Sony Receiver-No picture or sound for cable tv connection, but when TV is off there is sound.

capvtrice

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I am having problems with a new receiver I bought and I can't figure it out and I don't know who to call (my husband is more useless than I am when it comes to this stuff). Ok, here's the deal. I have a Sharp Aquos TV, a Cisco cable HD-DVR box from Brighthouse (cable provider) and my receiver is the Sony STR-DN840...or DH840...can't remember off hand. I've never run a receiver thru to the tv....we just dealt with the crappy sound that comes from the TV itself. So I connected the cable box to the receiver and the receiver to the tv. I'm using all high speed HDMI cables with Ethernet. When on the radio or using Pandora (which you have to use the TV to set it up), the sound is fine. The issue is when we are trying to watch tv, using the receiver/speakers. When I select all the correct inputs (tv and receiver), what happens is the screen will flicker between a black and blue screen. After being on about 5 minutes, it may flick a half of a second showing what's actually supposed to be on tv, but then it reverts to the blue or black screen. There is no sound during this time either. I got frustrated and turned the tv off (leaving the receiver on), and all of a sudden I could hear the sound for what was on the tv (but no picture obviously because it was turned off). When I turned the tv back on, no sound or picture again. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Sony, resetting it 3 times and trying other things. They couldn't figure it out, so they had me ship it to the repair center. After a week, they called me and said they could not replicate the issue. I got the receiver back and hooked it back up, and I'm still having the same problem. I don't know what to do (never had a receiver before). I'm not sure if it's my cables (tho the cables worked fine when directly going from the cable box to the tv), or my DVR cable box, my receiver, or if my tv is just not compatible. I'm at a loss :(

It is very possible for a particular HDMI cable to not work with the brands and models of equipment you are using. When the manufacturers of the equipment and cable all deviate from the HDMI standard you get weird problems that are not the fault of any one maker. Try a different brand of cable. Try a shorter cable if you can as the longer the cable the more difficult it is to work correctly.